Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

spray on bedliner duplicolor vs rustoleum

Old 02-23-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the duplicolor leaves more of a texture and seems to come out of the can as more of a spattered spray where the rustoleum is a smoother finish and comes out almost like a light mist. there is A LOT of overspray with the rusto. i won't be buying rustoleum again. i finished the can i started and returned the other three cans to get more duplicolor instead. go with the duplicolor
Old 02-23-2011, 09:12 PM
JK Freak

Am i doing something wrong? I used the rustoleum Liner on a test piece, 10" long of aluminum diamond plate. I scuffed it pretty well, not wonderfully but it is scuffed up and i sprayed it with the etching primer, waited 3 hours, then sprayed it with the liner. 10 hours later, i can effortlessly scrape it off with a fingernail down to bare metal.

Do i really need to wait 3 days before touching it? What on earth did i do wrong...

Granted i forgot to scrub with mineral spirits and properly scuff the surface but is that, that big an issue? (i did wash with soap/water)

I certainly do not wanna risk using this stuff on my rims if it really comes off that easy...

Last edited by Trauma; 02-23-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dulipicolor all the way.

My grill, rockers, inner fenders and even my hood was done.

I put it to the test on my quad. The a-arms and pegs were done and didn't even show wear after a season.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DCJEEP
Dulipicolor all the way.

My grill, rockers, inner fenders and even my hood was done.
So what on earth am i doing wrong lol...

Where do you guys buy your duplicolor?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the duplicolor route. I use it for my tube fenders and inner wells.

I get mine from Kragen or Autozone.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
I agree with the duplicolor route. I use it for my tube fenders and inner wells.

I get mine from Kragen or Autozone.
autozone by me is a rustoleum dealer not duplicolor, thats where i got the 3 cans of rustoleum i bought. I think i am gonna go back and see if they will take back the used cans and go to walmart get duplicolor.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Trauma

So what on earth am i doing wrong lol...

Where do you guys buy your duplicolor?
I got mine at napa. I've used about five different bedliners and it's the only one I'll use now. Everything has lasted through our winter and pressure washing.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:00 AM
JK Junkie

Do i really need to wait 3 days before touching it? What on earth did i do wrong...

Granted i forgot to scrub with mineral spirits and properly scuff the surface but is that, that big an issue? (i did wash with soap/water)
Prep is extremely important, make that the most important step when using these products. Also make sure it's warm when using them, or use a heater after you spray. On metal, I use a self etching primer also, but am still religious about preping. Lots of good threads in the forum on the prep details.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

I just did another test piece.

Should i have cleaned with mineral spirits immediately before spraying the primer? I followed the directions and did this

1:Washed thouroughly with mineral spirits
2:Wiped off residue
3:Heavily scuffed the entire piece with scotchbrite
4:Wiped off dust
5:Primed ASAP. 3 light coats 2 minutes apart.

How long should i let it dry, before applying paint?

Also, i feel like i should have done another mineral spirit wash after scuffing, should i have?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did another test piece.

Should i have cleaned with mineral spirits immediately before spraying the primer? I followed the directions and did this

1:Washed thouroughly with mineral spirits
2:Wiped off residue
3:Heavily scuffed the entire piece with scotchbrite
4:Wiped off dust
5:Primed ASAP. 3 light coats 2 minutes apart.
Also, i feel like i should have done another mineral spirit wash after scuffing, should i have?
When i bedlined my interior (using rustoleum) i used no primer at all, I just sanded first then cleaned with acetone .if tried scraping it with my fingernail it would prolly cut my finger its on there so well. When i did my rims i used primer and i was able to scratch it right off. So to me it seems like it has something to do with the primer

edit: I also only let it dry for about 24 hours before putting all the seats back in

Quick Reply: spray on bedliner duplicolor vs rustoleum