Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spray on bed-liner for plastic bumper?

Old 08-26-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray on bed-liner for plastic bumper?

I am planning on adding the VDP stubby bumper end caps to my factory bumper. In order to have all the plastic match I would like to apply a bed-liner to it. Is there an easy spray on kind the will stick to plastic? What have others used?
Old 08-26-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

I think people have had success with raptor liner, and theres a few good write ups about it...
Old 08-26-2011, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Krylon makes a paint that supposedly sticks to plastic called "fusion" i would not try putting bed liner on it. i think it would flake off.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Plastic primer from rustoleum with their flat black bedliner rattle can should work...
Old 08-26-2011, 10:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take lots of pics i might do this too.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:01 AM
JK Super Freak

I have line-Xed a lot of parts on my jeep and talked to the guys at the shop about bedlining plastic and they won't even do it. They say it wont bond to the plastic only encase it which will lead to peeling. I'd look at some of the "hammered" finish paint before wasting time on bedlining plastic.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

ive used duplicolor truck bedliner on plastic and it sticks just fine. prep is the key. sand it,clean it, spray on plastic adhesion promoter then bedline. i have held a pressure washer nozzle point blank on my plastic bedlined fenders and it has never flaked or peeled and have had it on for about 8 months now with no issues.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jboth
ive used duplicolor truck bedliner on plastic and it sticks just fine. prep is the key. sand it,clean it, spray on plastic adhesion promoter then bedline. i have held a pressure washer nozzle point blank on my plastic bedlined fenders and it has never flaked or peeled and have had it on for about 8 months now with no issues.
That's key right there...I just sanded, cleaned, and sprayed and it flaked off in about 6 months. Going the Krylon Fusion route this time. I didn't even know they made something to spray on plastic to make it hold paint better.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pics

So does anyone have any pics of a good matching bedlinered vdp stubby bumper? I ordered some end caps today, but still have concerns about how well the caps are going to match the stock bumper. If anyone has any suggestions as to brand for the bedliner, please share them. I see above some have used duplicolor, I assume black? Wondering how well the bedlinered bumper will look next to the stock fenders. Pics please.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jboth
pics???

Quick Reply: Spray on bed-liner for plastic bumper?