Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spod, worth it?

Old 11-25-2014, 12:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not to bad to build your own... honestly it just takes time really.

Keep in mind SPOD still needs to be wired and setup. It's not a complete system... All of the SPOD and similar systems need to be wired up.

I built my own secondary fuse/relay box and my own switch panel. I did this for my Jk and for my wife's. Both look factory, but are 99% separate from the factory system.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2619552448.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	585674   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-198979488.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	585675   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2262916321.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	585676  

Last edited by darkknight1999; 11-25-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darkknight1999
It's not to bad to build your own... honestly it just takes time really. Keep in mind SPOD still needs to be wired and setup. It's not a complete system... All of the SPOD and similar systems need to be wired up. I built my own secondary fuse/relay box and my own switch panel. I did this for my Jk and for my wife's. Both look factory, but are 99% separate from the factory system.
Didn't you have a thread on your overhead switch panel build and wiring setup?
Old 11-25-2014, 01:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robnasty
Didn't you have a thread on your overhead switch panel build and wiring setup?
Ya I have a 'how-to' on how to build it.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:26 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We sell a LOT of sPODs and have never had a single customer service issue. I can't imagine what must have happened for someone to say something bad about John and Cinde. They are a small family owned business that makes an American made product and they have always been more than willing to help with anything that we ever needed.

That being said, I've run the sPOD in all of my Jeeps and it is usually the first modification I make when starting a new build. They make wiring a breeze and they look clean and cool in the Jeep too.

We have a coupon code for you guys here at JK-Forum for 10% off and free shipping too. It is the best deal around and we offer it all year round. The code is JKFSPODME if you're interested.

Let me know if you have any questions about them as well. Happy to help either way!

Marcus
Old 11-25-2014, 03:59 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by darkknight1999
It's not to bad to build your own... honestly it just takes time really.

Keep in mind SPOD still needs to be wired and setup. It's not a complete system... All of the SPOD and similar systems need to be wired up.

I built my own secondary fuse/relay box and my own switch panel. I did this for my Jk and for my wife's. Both look factory, but are 99% separate from the factory system.
Curious, how much do you have into your system in parts, materials, and labor (man/hours)?
Old 11-25-2014, 05:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad
We sell a LOT of sPODs and have never had a single customer service issue. I can't imagine what must have happened for someone to say something bad about John and Cinde. They are a small family owned business that makes an American made product and they have always been more than willing to help with anything that we ever needed.

Marcus
Well, like I said they wouldn't return my emails. Had to chase them over a few months so yeah they might be great if you are buying a whole sPod or buying a large amount as a vendor (you), not so much for 1 dude looking to buy the overhead switch pod. Hell, I'll be extra nice to you if you are buying a large quantity of whatever I'm selling lol.

And to clarify before some spod diehard comes at me with a pitchfork, they were not rude or mean, just never got back to me. I'm sure they are nice people
Old 11-25-2014, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad

That being said, I've run the sPOD in all of my Jeeps and it is usually the first modification I make when starting a new build. They make wiring a breeze and they look clean and cool in the Jeep too.

We have a coupon code for you guys here at JK-Forum for 10% off and free shipping too. It is the best deal around and we offer it all year round. The code is JKFSPODME if you're interested.

Let me know if you have any questions about them as well. Happy to help either way!

Marcus
Possibility of any black friday deals on the ARB Twin Compressor or SPOD ( More than the 10% ) ? Any military discount ?
Old 11-26-2014, 01:43 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by alexwblackJK
I was about to pull the trigger on the s pod, until I saw that SWITCH PRO... and read some REAL bad thing about Spod customer service..
My experience with a failed switch on my sPOD was excellent customer service. They responded quickly to my emails, and sent me the repair part for free a year into ownership. They were also willing to make the repair if I mailed the controller to them.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:46 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by jnabird333

This was introduced at SEMA this year....

Switch Pros - Home
Yes, that's what I was writing about. It is a switch panel with a relay and fuse box. Unlike an sPOD, it isn't designed for any particular vehicle. You just mount the control panel onto any flat surface with screws. There have been other similar offerings for years. This one uses solid state switches instead of mechanical relays.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 11-26-2014 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:56 AM
RC3
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn

Curious, how much do you have into your system in parts, materials, and labor (man/hours)?
I built my own system, as well. I call it the RPOD. Cost is below:

10 - 12V 30A SPDT relays w/pigtails = $25
RR A pillar switch panel = $20
Daystar lower switch panel = $20
9 switches w/LEDs - OTRATTW = $16
8 circuit fuse block = $10
1 - 40A circuit breaker = $10
Wire, heat shrink tubing, crimp connectors = $25
2 - terminal blocks = $20
1 aluminum plate = $0

Total = $ 290

Plus about 5 hours of my labor.

Last edited by RC3; 11-26-2014 at 07:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Spod, worth it?