Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Splined Vs. Free Spinning Hub

Old 10-12-2009, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Splined Vs. Free Spinning Hub

I understand JK Front axle shafts are splined to the hub flange, thus the differential always spins and lubricates and the design is simple, omitting the need for hub locking solenoids. This month’s issue of Off-Road magazine talks about a free spinning conversion for older Dodge trucks. The author was not in favor of direct-splined (unit bearing) hubs and sited them as fuel robbing, creating a “heavy feel” to the steering, and the cause of higher maintenance. I have had 4WD in the past, and had to service some of my solenoid-based free wheeling hubs and was happy the JK’s had a simpler design. I also see advantages in allowing the front differential to lubricate continuously. I would like to hear other opinions on this. Thanks
Old 10-12-2009, 10:35 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You bring up a good point. I've always preferred no hubs as well. Primarily because any type of locking hub will be a weak link in the chain.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

A locking hub can, will, might be a weak link in the chain. Okay, I'll agree, it will be a weak link, but maybe not the weakest. However, the benefits of a locking hub are also there. Drives better on the street (my opinion), reduces fuel consumption which is important on those long trips with gas stations few and far between, can make life a bit simpler when you break an axle shaft, reduces wear on the differential.

All that being said, I am not running out and changing to lockable hubs in the near future. I guess I am just looking at the other side of the coin. However, if I were to change from a unit bearing, I would not get any kind of electronic set up, it would be get out and lock the hubs.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ran manual locking hubs for years in my 2 V-8 powered CJ's, I never heard of anyone ever breaking a locking hub. Not saying it hasn't happened but I never had it happen to me or anyone I know.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given the pressure on auto manufacturera to improve fuel economy, the penalty for spinning the front diff and shaft is likely small compared to cost and reliability of locking hubs. Regarding steering, IMO the JK's steering is not heavy.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:34 PM
JK Junkie

I've heard 1-2 mpg difference with locking hubs. PiginaJeep would be a good candidate to confirm.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Are Locking hubs possible on the JK with this splined setup? I've never seen any on one. Just curious.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

Will they ever come out with an option for us that don't want to have to buy new rims and drill rotors for a different lug pattern?
Old 11-01-2009, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I converted to manual locking hubs on my TJ when it still had the 30 up front. It afforded a bigger, longer axle shaft and better bearing placement. The unitized hub utilizes a nonserviceable bearing that is VERY suceptible to premature failure. The bearings are very close together, which creates a lot of leverage on them. Spreading the bearing out along a spindle increases strength of the hub assembly and allows you to just repack or replace the bearings... far less expensive than replacing the unit bearing.

They're also much easier to deal with if you break an axle shaft.

With that said, I've GRENADED multiple WARN locking hubs. The destruction is typically spectacular and always fun to clean up. I've also had a grenaded locking hub blow the side gears on a detroit.

In a d30 or d44, I'd just stick with the factory style setup. If you feel the need to run 37s plus in big rocks, then you need bigger axles anyway.

Quick Reply: Splined Vs. Free Spinning Hub