Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spiderweb Sunshade vs Alien Sunshade

Old 05-21-2020, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Spiderweb Sunshade vs Alien Sunshade

Besides the cost they both look very similar in design and installation. I'm in the market for one and have kind of narrowed it down to these. Can those of you that have either one let me know their thoughts before I buy?

Thanks
Old 05-21-2020, 05:47 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Bout the same. My preference is the bungee type tops like these vs straps. I had a black spiderweb web before and my only complaint was after a couple years of solid full time use in Texas it was pretty faded. This last time I went with a lighter gray shade.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, I had read reviews concerning the fade. Something to consider for sure, but I would imagine any brand would fade under the relentless sun & heat in Texas
Old 05-22-2020, 05:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Y. My top is off most the year, and although it's garaged and a toy, it takes a beating when out. These things aren't too expensive so getting a couple years out of one is nbd. These are also very easy on/off. I will say that most of these say you can install hard top over them, but it's a bit of a hassle,, primarily at the windshield footman loops. If there is some reason I have to put hard top on, I usually just undo the front portion and fold it back over the rear portion. Also, I have previously run bolt w/ washer down through the sound bar to hold it in place better in that area. Those grommets never line up perfectly though. I don't currently have bolts in place there. Can't say there is a huge difference.
Old 05-23-2020, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think I'm kind of leaning towards the 2-piece top a little bit now. Thinking about the 1-piece flapping in the wind, although some say they don't experience it. Some do. Decisions, decisions. I have time.
My wife is going to buy me one for my birthday in a couple weeks.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:40 AM
twp
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Alien shade two piece. Could not be more happy with it. It is still nice and tight after 2 years. I thought I had read that Alien shade had to close but not sure.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I ended up going with a 2-piece Shade Idea. Went with the 2-piece for the reasons stated above. It looks to be very well made and a 10 year warranty, but man, the English in the directions... Definitely from a foreign country, LOL Despite the written directions, the pictures are more helpful.

I have it laying in the sun on my deck to get the wrinkles out. I'll get it installed over the weekend and post my thoughts.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t_b_prod_image
Old 05-29-2020, 12:08 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I like how that one bungees over the middle. I had a 2-pc DirtyDog4x4 one years ago and it attached to the sound bar (front and back) via velcro. Even with industrial velcro, I had to replace the jeep's side each year. After 3 years of that I moved to the 1-pc models. I'm sure you'll enjoy that. The jeep is so much nicer with no top, and that will keep the UV bearable.
The following users liked this post:
Reddout99 (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, I went back and forth for a while. This one is setup similar to the 2-piece Alien shade, but there appeared to be a problem with Alien's website for me. This one looks to be well put together and all bungees are accounted for, LOL.

This is my first JKU and I am looking forward to running topless.