Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spidertrax Spacer Loctite

Old 02-27-2013, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spidertrax Spacer Loctite

I just had Spidertrax Spacers installed by my buddy at Belle Tire. He told me he did not want to use the loctite since it would act as a lubricant and there was a chance he could overtorque and mess them up. His manager also backed him up on it, and they told me that they have been running spacers for over 3 years without loctite or any troubles. I took it in again yesterday to get them retorqued and he only had to tighten one lug very slightly. Should I trust them on this, or should I pull them off and apply the loctite? Every thread I've read on this subject has said to use it, but I'm wondering if I can get away with it if I take them in to get retorqued at every oil change, and if anyone else is running them without the use of loctite.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Spidertrax themselves recommend using it. Why d other wise?
Old 02-27-2013, 08:11 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Spidertrax are engineers who designed the product. I would and do follow what they say.

David
Old 02-27-2013, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soadxtr573
I just had Spidertrax Spacers installed by my buddy at Belle Tire. He told me he did not want to use the loctite since it would act as a lubricant and there was a chance he could overtorque and mess them up. His manager also backed him up on it, and they told me that they have been running spacers for over 3 years without loctite or any troubles. I took it in again yesterday to get them retorqued and he only had to tighten one lug very slightly. Should I trust them on this, or should I pull them off and apply the loctite? Every thread I've read on this subject has said to use it, but I'm wondering if I can get away with it if I take them in to get retorqued at every oil change, and if anyone else is running them without the use of loctite.
Yeah,. Is your buddy at Belle Tire an engineer?

Use the locktite, and tell your buddy to stick to the tire business .

Loctite® Threadlocker Red 271TM is designed for the permanent locking and sealing of threaded fasteners. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. It is only removable once cured by heating up parts to 500°F (260°C).

Last edited by Rayster; 02-27-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X3 on this, my tire guy had no issues with applying loctite. Only said it might be a bitch getting them off if I had to replace my rotors. I would rather have it that way, then spitting of a wheel.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a good friend which runs a tow company. I told him that I was planning on getting spacers. He told me several horrifying stories about people losing tires at highway speeds. I asked him if he could tell if locktite had been used on them. He said that it did not look like it.
In the debate between the safety of your butt vs the safety of their liability I know my vote is use the locktite.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Well I guess that answers that! I'll take it somewhere else and have them use loctite on it. They did not want to bear the responsibility if it did not torque correctly I guess.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

i was wondering this as well, bought my set used and didnt have any loctite at the time and needed to install them asap. Ive had spacers/adapters on many cars and have never had any issues with them when they are quality parts. Still debating on using loctite but never needed to before other than running stud conversions on a few cars.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
Spidertrax are engineers who designed the product. I would and do follow what they say.

David
This. Follow he directions provided, use the loc tite.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with the others.....use loctite but I used blue instead of red. I dont want any trouble if I have to take a rotor off in the future. Especially if you wheel alot and you need to pull an axle on the trail. Ive checked mine several times since installing them 12000 miles ago and they havent budged.

Quick Reply: Spidertrax Spacer Loctite