Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spend $5k on Jeep

Old 01-06-2009, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if I had mine to do all over again and was limited to 5k, I'd go Tera Long arm 3", 35's, and stubby the front bumper. When the budget let me, because of price and my playstyle, I'd go with the AEV snorkel, and then a winch in the stock stubby. I gotta agree with piginajeep... it's best to do the lift stuff right the first time around. It's what's gonna make the most difference in performance as well.

Also, if you're looking through all these suggestions and decide a rear tire carrier is necessary for what you're doing, look at Rancho. I think there's is like $450 bucks or something. Definitely good bang for you buck.

I'm toying with the idea of buying that one myself to get my spare off the gate until AEV releases their rear bumper/tire carrier.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:29 AM
JK Jedi Master

seriously, since you have a 2 door. If your buying a 3" short arm lift. make sure it comes with adjustable control arms. You'll need them for new driveshafts
Old 01-06-2009, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Default bigblue

Ok, let me get this straight. You have $5,000.00 to spend and you said you can't buy much? Man, there are so many things that you can do with that. Intake, exhaust, headers, winches, interior upgrades and still have enough for gas! I have put on the True flow XDI air inteake, Gibson split dual exhaust, fully tinted my 4 door, center caps, new brighter headlights, carbon fiber shifter knob,seat covers... all for around $1k. As far as Screamin Lizard, I agree they are great and am saving for the next 1yr and half to have the 6.1 liter put in.
Your Jeep does look great by the way, I have Cragar soft 8 rims, cheap but looks good.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:44 AM
JK Junkie

Wow...I wish I had 5K to spend on upgrades. It does all depend on what type of wheelin' you are planning to do though. I would recommend squeezing somewhere in there skids as well. With a Jeep broken underneath, 35s become nothing but paper weights.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:44 AM
JK Newbie

Default Rancho

That is a great idea, I was actually considering doing myself. Looks great, for me I just need to get rid of the 3rd break light which kind of bothers me but we will see.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Looking at your JK specs now I would get a currie kit from Dave since he has room to deal. Then I would get new shafts. Leave everything else the same and go out for a few runs and find out what yu wish you could get for another 1500 bucks. My guess is it would be not new sneakers but some skids.

Lift, Shafts and then Skids. In that order. Then maybe a basic winch for now since your only goign to have a little left after all these mods.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sooo many great ideas so little money!!! OK check it out. I found an amazing deal on a full traction long arm. I kept looking at pig's jeep and how it looks like a mean spider about to jump on a rock and I love it. It looks so good. I hope it rides like he says. Long arms here I come!

Now 35's or 37's? I really think 37s will open a can of worms cost wise, but I don't want to go 35s and then be like I should havegone 37s a week later (the 33s look tiny to me now, they used to look big)
Old 01-06-2009, 09:07 PM
JK Super Freak

-Full Traction 3 inch Suspension -- $577.43
-shocks -- $170
-driveshafts -- $799.95

-Superior Axle 5.13 Gears w/Install Kit Package -- $599.95

-Rock Hard Transfer Case Skid Plate -- $199.95
-Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid Plate -- $349.95
-Rock Hard Oil Pan, Transmission & Cat Skid Plate -- $379.95

-Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain 35x12.50r18 -- (4) $1,451.56

TOTAL-- $4,528.74 +shipping

DO THIS AND YOUR SET

...GOT ALL THIS OFF OF NORTHRIDGE4X4.COM

....OH YEA...AND WOODS Evap Canister Relocation Kit $100
Old 01-06-2009, 09:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be a tough setup. Skids are def in my stage 2. I am going to have to buy some shocks for the full traction long arm I am getting. Which ones will work best?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:31 AM
JK Jedi Master

Whats your axle gearing?

really 37's wont open that much of a can of worms. You'll need new driveshafts anyways with anything over a 3" lift. You'll just need to regear for 37's.

What size coils does the lift come with? I'm running 3" coils and shocks. If thats your plan. You'll need to buy 3" coils from FT.

You wont need the pitman arm or the drop down track bar brackets either.

Quick Reply: Spend $5k on Jeep