Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spark plugs

Old 04-10-2014, 12:07 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the problem I see with most reports on spark plugs. A worn out set of stock plugs are replaced with brand X and then suddenly that plug is the best because it idles smoother and mpg improved a bit. It's not a good comparison because worn out plugs are compared to new plugs.

I forget which plugs I installed, but my mpg dropped a bit. I have a set of stock replacements to install and I'm curious to see if mpg improves a bit not that it matters. I only track mpg to trend the health of the engine.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 09DARKORANGEJK
I don't think I've ever been apart of a thread on here where somebody can't help going to the snark zone. Obviously they work a spark is a spark but can it be better that's what I'm trying to figure out but thanks for snarking it up bud.
Why is that snarky? There's nothing wrong with the stock plugs. I pulled mine at 45K miles and they were still good. Just about every piston powered aircraft in the world is running Champions. Ronjenx is a good forum member and is extremely knowledgeable.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ncb
Why is that snarky? There's nothing wrong with the stock plugs. I pulled mine at 45K miles and they were still good. Just about every piston powered aircraft in the world is running Champions. Ronjenx is a good forum member and is extremely knowledgeable.
Exactly. People just get so sensitive these days. He was providing a countering perspective. Use the info or not, but it wasn't snarky.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I get it but it's all delivery his input is wanted but I don't see the need for sarcasm.

I also agree with you when replacing something worn out with new it will always feel better and if one person has a minor inconvenience with a product suddenly it's the worst product out there. I simply want to take the input of others combine them and try to make the best from it
Old 04-10-2014, 01:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 09DARKORANGEJK
No I get it but it's all delivery his input is wanted but I don't see the need for sarcasm.
I don't want to continue in the direction we headed, but there was no snarkiness or sarcasm in the intent of my first post. You pointed out that shop mechanics don't like Champion plugs. I wanted to point out that I and lots of people I know on the road and in the air have not had any problems with Champion plugs. In fact, quite a few people on this forum have tried other brands and returned to the OEM Champions because the JK didn't run well on the other plugs.

I will admit my other post got a little sarcastic, triggered by your "snarky" comment, which I didn't understand.

I'm all for staying technical in the forums. The internet by nature makes it difficult to "hear" what one really means in a written post.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I don't want to continue in the direction we headed, but there was no snarkiness or sarcasm in the intent of my first post. You pointed out that shop mechanics don't like Champion plugs. I wanted to point out that I and lots of people I know on the road and in the air have not had any problems with Champion plugs. In fact, quite a few people on this forum have tried other brands and returned to the OEM Champions because the JK didn't run well on the other plugs. I will admit my other post got a little sarcastic, triggered by your "snarky" comment, which I didn't understand. I'm all for staying technical in the forums. The internet by nature makes it difficult to "hear" what one really means in a written post.
Agreed the way it read to me was a little back handed but not a problem let's move on.

I've heard a lot about different plugs from good to bad and I think a lot has to do with what motor the plugs are in. I didn't check to see what plugs came stock in the jeep so obviously if there champions I don't have a problem with them they ran fine for the first 50,000 just seem to be slacking of late thats why I'm doing the tune up. Wanted to enquire mainly about the platinum 4's because I had them in my older TJ and felt that it ran better with them and the gas mileage was surprisingly better. I wouldn't have believed how much better if I didn't see it with my own eyes. Side note I wish that 4.0 I6 was still in these jeeps but that's another story haha
Old 04-11-2014, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Champions have traditionally been run in Jeeps for years. I'd just go w/ the factory champion plug, no complaints. Currently I run the NGK iridiums, only because thats what Ripp recommended for their SC setup.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a set of NGK v-power plugs lztr5a-13 4306 if anyone needs them they are for 3.8 let them go for $20.00
Old 04-12-2014, 05:10 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

If the ignition system is in good shape a quality brand spark plug will get the job done. The key is having a plug with the correct heat range. All the different types of plugs are marketing hype. I pulled the stock plugs on my 2009 at 40K miles and they still looked new. The gap was perfect. New technology engine run a lot cleaner and plugs last a long time.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs