Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spark Plug Recommendations

Old 01-25-2015, 11:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
OEM are platinum and it is recommended to stay with the oem. There are several threads on problems occuring from using "performance" plugs if you do a search.
Performance plugs like NGK, Bosch, or Autolite?
Old 01-25-2015, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Yours is the only post I've seen that didn't say the E3's caused problems with the 3.8L engine. Did you get the additional mpg right after installing them? What time of year was it? And how many miles on the OEM plugs at the time?
I am running E3's and have had no problems as of yet. I didn't see any change in performance or fuel efficiency. I pulled one the other day just to check how they were fairing and they still looked really good. Like others have said, don't expect anything more out of them. I will probably just go back to champions next go around.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Yours is the only post I've seen that didn't say the E3's caused problems with the 3.8L engine.
Did you get the additional mpg right after installing them? What time of year was it?
And how many miles on the OEM plugs at the time?
I ran e3s in my hemi and it would eat them up. Chased it for 2 years before giving up and going back to regular ngks. I had 8 plugs blow the grounds off using e3s. That said my lawn mower doubled it's mileage with e3s and my mom's mustang picked up just over 3 mpg using them. I will never use them again
Old 01-25-2015, 04:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the NGKs. I only use the Laser Double Platinum (4998) PLZTR5A-13 in my 2010 (3.8L) JKUS.

The fact that NGK's Mooresville, NC plant that makes 95% of the ceramic catalytic converter inserts used in the USA is a customer of mine has no bearing on my choice... other than I know first hand how meticulous they are about design, material and quality control.

Your local auto parts store probably has them in stock.
Advance Auto Parts: Search Results for ngk 4998
Old 01-27-2015, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marcusjames2
I am running E3's and have had no problems as of yet. I didn't see any change in performance or fuel efficiency. I pulled one the other day just to check how they were fairing and they still looked really good. Like others have said, don't expect anything more out of them. I will probably just go back to champions next go around.
I think I might have to take back what I said about not having issues with the E3s. Since around Christmas I started with a slight rough idle that almost felt like a very slight misfire intermittently. I had been unable to figure it out, but some of what yall said about E3s made me wonder if it was a plug going bad. So I picked up a set of Champion original equipment today and installed them. I'm not feeling the misfire sensation now. I'm going to need to run a little longer to be sure, but I'm hopeful.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by marcusjames2
I think I might have to take back what I said about not having issues with the E3s. Since around Christmas I started with a slight rough idle that almost felt like a very slight misfire intermittently. I had been unable to figure it out, but some of what yall said about E3s made me wonder if it was a plug going bad. So I picked up a set of Champion original equipment today and installed them. I'm not feeling the misfire sensation now. I'm going to need to run a little longer to be sure, but I'm hopeful.
You are having the same problem I had with the e3 plugs, threw a misfire code after only 10K miles, replaced them and no more problems for about 40K miles. This past weekend replaced the Champions with Bosh and I can feel a difference (not sure if it's the type of plug, or just a newer plug), but idles better and pickup is somewhat smoother.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Recommend OEM plugs here. First set changed at 95K miles because I was installing a dual-battery tray and didn't want to have to pull all of that out just to change plugs. No problem pulling out plugs, no problem with misses or pinging, no problem with removing them. Here's what they looked like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual-battery Install, Feb 12, 0660, The Old Spark Plugs.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	3.05 MB
ID:	633143

Name:	Dual-battery Install, Feb 12, 0653, Old and New Spark Plugs.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	633144

Bear in mind that the engineers who designed your Jeep and speced the spark plug gap are fully aware that it will widen. That is why they specify the gap they do. If a widening gap was a problem then we'd have to do like what we did when I was a kid: Pull the plugs out every few thousand miles and reset the gap. Don't imagine problems that aren't there: If you have pinging than more than likely you have a different problem with your Jeep or the gas you're buying (my experience and that of my friends with whom I travel all over the country with is to always buy 87 or 88 octane. Always, even at higher elevations).

I replaced those plugs with NGKs. They were a lot more expensive, and I netted zero improvement in gas mileage, performance, anything. They were not worth the money. Because I was having a problem with an intermittent miss in my Jeep I replaced those at about another 75K miles. They were easy to remove (copper antiseize is your friend), one did seem a bit more worn down than the rest, but still had plenty of life in it. Here is what they looked like ...

Name:	Swap Spark Plugs, Aug 15, 5_2546, Old Plugs (annotated).jpg
Views:	693
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	633145

Remember that admonition I wrote above about having a different problem? Yeah, head gasket. That means this all over again ...

Name:	Swap Spark Plugs, Aug 15, N5_4844, Parts Removed for Access.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	633146

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Recommendations