Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spark plug question...

Old 04-16-2012, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug question...

Every once in a while when I go to start my jeep it turns over and then dies... I thought it could be either clogged fuel injectors or fouled plug.. Anyways it was time to change out the original spark plugs so I figured what the hell it can’t hurt. I don’t know if it fixed the issue because it is so intermittent. Anyways since I have never changed out spark plugs before my newb question is...... If i screwed up one of them somehow or another, since I didn’t have a torque wrench.. Would I get any indication stating so?? and if any of you have any input on what else could make the stalling issue occur please feel free to post!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you did manage to eff up a spark plug, like not tight enough or cross threaded, you would know immediately. Doing so would cause a lack of compression on that cylinder and you would more than likely have a dead misfire, or at least a very noticeable stumble at idle.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:29 PM
JK Freak

What kind of plugs did you put in it?
How many miles do you have on the Jeep?

Thinking back, Is the intermittent problem linked with cold weather or after you have been driving for a while/not driving for a while?
Old 04-17-2012, 02:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I put in bosch (or however you spell it) +4's this stalling only occurs usually after the engine is still hot.. Pretty sure I didnt f*** up any of the spark plugs because my jeep idles alot smoother than before.. Havent had the stalling issue o hopefully this fixed it!
Old 04-17-2012, 02:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKRescue08
What kind of plugs did you put in it?
How many miles do you have on the Jeep?

Thinking back, Is the intermittent problem linked with cold weather or after you have been driving for a while/not driving for a while?

After driving, engine still warm... hot as hell florida conditions... thanks in advance!
Old 04-17-2012, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

No joy! Happened again... I can’t figure out what is causing this... It turns over and then stalls out... then I put my head down in embracement turn the key and its fine.... sometimes it putters or hesitates while starting and the gets going... does anyone have a clue what this could be?
Old 04-17-2012, 11:32 PM
JK Freak

There are so many different things it could be, but based on just what you said my first guess would be a leaky injector, which you could test with a fuel pressure gauge. If it drops quickly after you shut off the car, that may be the issue.

Also as the jeep heats up, resistance in the starting system goes up - check the basics like the battery (when hot), engine to body ground and battery connections and the starter. Check the amperage at the starter when cranking cold and when hot, you should see less than .15 difference when hot.

Without running diagnostics, I would bet on the Injectors/fuel system pressure or a grounding issue (weak battery, dirty terms etc...)
Old 04-18-2012, 02:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be a fuel pressure problem do you noticeany hesitation while accelerating or pulling hills the problems on starting could be caused by the fuel pump can you hear it when you turn your key on but not starting position does it stumblebefore it dies ? have you ever changed your filter? a partially clogged filter makes the pump work extra hard . constantly running low on gas will shorten its life also

Quick Reply: Spark plug question...