Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spare tire spacer. Which one to get??

Old 08-18-2010, 01:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare tire spacer. Which one to get??

I'm looking for a spare tire spacer that helps making the 35'' tire rests on the stock bumber. This would hold the spare from vibrating. Basically, I don’t want to see my spare tire flying somewhere while driving .
MBRP: it seems good for me
Wheel spacer: is heavy
TeraFlex and Rugged Rige: they re-locate the tire up or down and blocks the third brake light.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel spacers..jpg
Views:	634
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	82617   Click image for larger version

Name:	teraflex..jpg
Views:	1302
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	82618   Click image for larger version

Name:	mbrp..jpg
Views:	898
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	82619  
Old 08-18-2010, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Using a wheel spacer will work, but its an expensive option. The mounts that space and move your spare up, they will work too. Just add the extended bumpstops to the tailgate.

There's several threads on here about the 35 on stock carrier debate. I tried it for a while and decided my tire was too heavy. Some people report no problems...
Old 08-18-2010, 01:47 PM
JK Freak

Damage most likely will be slow and gradual which is why I'm in the market for bumper/carrier before going getting bigger tires and screwing up my tailgate.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKRINGO
Damage most likely will be slow and gradual which is why I'm in the market for bumper/carrier before going getting bigger tires and screwing up my tailgate.
Totally agree. But I see many Jks in town with 35'' spare!!!! and I can't wait to see mine with the spare. It makes it look more aggrassive

thanks for the inputs anyway
Old 08-19-2010, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

It didn't take long for me to notice that an oversized spare was killing my tailgate (and I'm running 33's). If your not going to get a bumper with spare tire carrier, at least get something like this oversized tire carrier from Smittybilt to distribute the weight better.

If you're not a Smitty fan, there are other manufacturers that make something similar.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash
It didn't take long for me to notice that an oversized spare was killing my tailgate (and I'm running 33's). If your not going to get a bumper with spare tire carrier, at least get something like this oversized tire carrier from Smittybilt to distribute the weight better.

If you're not a Smitty fan, there are other manufacturers that make something similar.
What's to keep someone from walking off with your spare using this carrier??
Old 08-19-2010, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

By using one of these spare tire relocator, it moves the weight of the tire farther out away from the tailgate. By doing this you are increasing the leverage and total stress on the carrier and tail gate. In my mind if you were going to stick a large tire on the stock carrier, I would try and keep it tight up against the tailgate where it can rest on the bumper and by long bump stops to help prevent the tire from shaking around. Also MBRP makes a stock carrier reinforcement kit that strengthens the mounting point of the carrier.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went with a Spidertrax wheel spacer and it has served me very well so far. It gives me just enough clearance for my 35 BFG MT's mounted on my stock wheels but doesn't stick out too far to adversely increase leverage placed on my tailgate. I've been running this way for well over a year with absolutely no sings of wear on my tailgate.

I would not recommend the mount that lifts the tire up and out because that greatly increases the leverage placed on the tailgate.

Also, make sure you extend the spare tire bumpstops so that they make solid contact with your spare tire.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3176..jpg
Views:	1117
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	82795   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3173..jpg
Views:	1023
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	82796   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3174..jpg
Views:	956
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	82797   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3175..jpg
Views:	995
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	82798  

Last edited by FlyingJeep; 08-19-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stoneaxe
What's to keep someone from walking off with your spare using this carrier??

You'll notice a hole and an cutout under the bar that you spin to get the tire off. I would imagine this is for an outdoor padlock.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by FlyingJeep
I went with a Spidertrax wheel spacer and it has served me very well so far. It gives me just enough clearance for my 35 BFG MT's mounted on my stock wheels but doesn't stick out too far to adversely increase leverage placed on my tailgate. I've been running this way for well over a year with absolutely no sings of wear on my tailgate.

I would not recommend the mount that lifts the tire up and out because that greatly increases the leverage placed on the tailgate.

Also, make sure you extend the spare tire bumpstops so that they make solid contact with your spare tire.
Nice photos

Quick Reply: Spare tire spacer. Which one to get??