Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

spare tire size??????????

Old 05-01-2008, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by MORTON
Its not only the vision obstruction but I just dont have the money for a new swing out rear bumper. I have a matching 37 its bauld but it is the match I dont like to hang it on the tailgate. Anyone have a rear swing out? For cheep, probably not im sure Oh well thanks for the info. anything more is always helpfull.

PS - As for rear visibility...the REASON you posted this....

You have a few alternatives you could use in any combo you find you like:

1. For $ 69 or so, you could install a back up camera (Or more than one...) that sends a wireless signal to a dash mounted screen.

2. For $ 5 or so, you could place a plastic wide angle window sheet on the rear hatch glass...it lets you see where the tire blocks too.

3. For $50 or so, you could mount additional mirrors allowing you a tractor trailer-like view of the area behind your hitch, etc.

4. For $100 or so, you could install a proximity sensor that beeps when some thing is behind you too close, and beeps faster as you get closer, etc.

etc.

Also - You COULD use an adapter to bring the tire up a bit (A few inches), so the 37 can rest on the rear bumper, helping to support it.

I did that on My TJ for quite a while....its fine....the JK has an even stronger set-up.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mabe just throw it in the back
unless you carry alot of tools/people, than that might not work so well
Old 05-01-2008, 07:17 AM
JK Freak

If you like the look of the 30" bogger on the back, that's fine. Like greenmachine said though, you might just throw the bald 37" spare in the back when you go off-roading. It would be better to have a bald 37" tire on hand if something goes wrong with one of your tires. It's not going to contribute much in the way of traction (probably more than a 30" spare would), but it will keep your ESP from going nuts, and you would maintain the functionality of lockers if you have them.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got a best top spare tire carrier that distributes the weight over a larger area of the tailgate. the weight on the hinges and tailgate have been issues in the past with large spares. the best solution would be a full size spare mounted on an aftermarket bumper. another option being a 33 or 35 mounted on the factory or best top ($350 installed) spare tire carrier. A 35" spare is close enough to the 37" tires you are running, and probably will not screw anything up. If you have 3 37" tires and a 30" tire there will be a BIG difference and you probably will screw something up. I'd bite the bullet and get the full size spare mounted on the bumper. At the very least a 33" tire. The closer your spare is to the other tires, the less chance of problems.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never recomend a different size spare, but if you must I would put it on the front not the rear. In the rear you could mess up the diffs but in the front you could use 2wd without any real issues. ABS and ESP may not be happy but that would happen on the rear as well.

With that said, I am considering getting rid of my spare and putting Staun beadlocks in all 4 other tires. It is an internal beadlock, basically like having a small tire inside your regular tire. If I have a flat my plan would be to limp along like that until I got to the service station. Obvoiusly i would put the bad tire on the front axel if not already there. I carry a co2 tank off road so I could keep filling it as needed as well.

What are the opinions on this idea??

Quick Reply: spare tire size??????????