Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spare Tire Rotation

Old 10-02-2015, 03:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
Right !

Like this:

Attachment 626205
That's the pattern I use.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:13 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
...hmmmm...let me see...carry the one...aw hell I don't know.
I know what you mean. And after driving spikes and cleaning flange ways all day, I don't feel like doing the math either.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I know what you mean. And after driving spikes and cleaning flange ways all day, I don't feel like doing the math either.
Haha...I'll bet. I'd be in bed already!

Quick spreadsheet check assuming 20 bucks per tire and 10k tire life. Both start with 5 tires.

So it all comes down to how long the spare will last on the rack before you have to replace that too when you're only rotating 4. And there are a lot of variables there...covered vs not covered...hot vs cold...dry vs humid...age when bought...etc.. The $20 in this example is actually the cost of the tire. So more like $160-?.

So I stand by my original guess...if it lasts 5 tire changes it's a wash.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	4 tire vs 5.png
Views:	390
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	626216  

Last edited by 14Sport; 10-02-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could rotate all five, the when it's time to buy new tires buy four new tires and keep the best old tire as a spare.

Or you could just rotate four tires, then when it's time to buy new tires you just buy three new tires and use the not used spare, and keep the best old tire as a spare.

Either way I don't see any advantage to not do a five tire rotation.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
Right !

Like this:

Attachment 626205
This is how I rotate mine. I don't think its that big of a deal either way, as long as you use the same pattern everytime
Old 10-03-2015, 12:06 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I don't rotate the spare. Any more. And at my age that's a good thing--lifting a 35" spare onto the rack is difficult--my back appreciates it if I have a friend help me with it. But I'm also a bit of a tightwad, so let me explain what I've done.

I rotated the spare in for the first set of my Goodyear Duratracs. That way I got the mileage/tightwad benefit out of it. Then, when I bought new tires, I only bought four. I kept the best of the original five as my spare. Then, the second time around I kept a different, just worn out tire (actually two, since I carry two spares sometimes). This make rotating tires way easier since I don't have to lift one on and off the tire rack. So, I always have two not too badly used spare tires, but I don't have to rotate them in. Do be aware that if you off-road, you should be replacing your tires well before they hit the treadwear indicators. Treadwear indicators are designed to tell you when wet pavement performance is becoming unsafe, not offroad performance. If you're running your tires down to or past the treadwear indicator, then I don't recommend this rotation scheme.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NMxSW, Mar 14, R7_0485, Mark's Jeep.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	626233
Old 10-03-2015, 02:49 AM
JK Junkie

I know what you mean, Mark, those things are heavy as you get older. There is no way I would want to deal with one on my roof. Fortunately for me, my tire shop does mine for free. They're a Mom & Pop, which I prefer with most things I buy, and they rotate tires they install for the life of the tires as part of the package. It takes them about 5 minutes.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:02 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

The benefit I like most with the 5 tire rotation is having to jack only one tire at a time. Lifting the stock spare to the tailgate isn't a negative factor for me. I wouldn't want it to be any bigger than stock, though.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The benefit I like most with the 5 tire rotation is having to jack only one tire at a time. Lifting the stock spare to the tailgate isn't a negative factor for me. I wouldn't want it to be any bigger than stock, though.
I agree with this. Saves me from using jack stands or needing a second jack.

Another benefit to the five tire rotation is if you buy different tires next time you won't be stuck with a brand new non-matching spare.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Discount Tire does free lifetime rotation and balancing if you buy your tires there. I have them do a five tire rebalance and rotation after every oil change to keep everything wearing correctly, and free of wobbles. Well worth buying all my tire there if you ask me.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Rotation