Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spare tire reinforcement kit?!

Old 01-20-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spare tire reinforcement kit?!

I found a spare tire reinforcement kit online and am wondering if anyone has it or what do you think? I think I'm going to buy it because it's only $30, but does anyone have this?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/22202_1001.htm
Old 01-20-2011, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenJK07
I found a spare tire reinforcement kit online and am wondering if anyone has it or what do you think? I think I'm going to buy it because it's only $30, but does anyone have this?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/22202_1001.htm
I have a kit which is identical. They can be a bitch to install cause you have to break the tac welded nuts off inside the tailgate with a bolt they supply which I managed to break several of(had to buy more from home depot). The time and frustration was not worth it.

I ran it for about 6months with a 37" tire then put on a new rear bumper+tire carrier cause the tailgate started making crinkly pop can type sounds. If you put on a larger tire you will more than likely eventually goto a new bumper+tire carrier.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't see that solving the real problem... when you put a 35" + tire on there you need to upgrade if you plan on wheeling with it or even driving fast on washboard-type roads. Even with those brackets I can guarantee you're still going to bend the sheet metal of your tailgate and ruin it in time.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:38 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks for the advice. I have a mopar offroad rear bumper and a 33 on the stock gate with a mbrp spare tire relocator. The swing arm for my rear bumper is like $600 and I just can't see spending that. I am going to 35" tires and then 37 in the future and wanted to bulk up my tailgate. I guess I'm just going to bite the bullet and start saving for the swing gate. :(
Old 01-21-2011, 07:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the MBRP reinforcing kit and it was a pain to install.
Only have 33's, just wanted a little extra security for the fuel cans I sometimes carry. Saving for the OR-FAB rack now..
Old 01-21-2011, 06:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by cppower
I have the MBRP reinforcing kit and it was a pain to install.
Only have 33's, just wanted a little extra security for the fuel cans I sometimes carry. Saving for the OR-FAB rack now..
Yah ive decided to just bite the bullet and buy the swing gate. Anyway I'm going to run 37's.

Quick Reply: Spare tire reinforcement kit?!