Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spare tire in rear area of JKU??

Old 11-07-2012, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spare tire in rear area of JKU??

Ive been thinking lately of getting rid of the weight of the spare tire on my jeep while I am local. Between my family & AAA there really is no need to keep it on the jeep outside of the looks. With removing it I plan on getting rid of the spare tire carrier for it. With that being said I would want to carry it when I go out of town or on any trip I may take. I was thinking about the spare tires that Scramblers used to have in the back of the bed. Does anyone know of a bracket or mount that is made for JKU's that would allow me to mount my spare standing up in the rear of my Jeep on one side. That way I would have it if needed when needed. The reason I want to mount it standing up is I would still have room in the rear to carry things. I could always lay it down however I lose all the space then. Any ideas??
Old 11-07-2012, 12:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what if you layed it down and made a floor on top of the spare for storage
Old 11-07-2012, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could either A. Just lay it in the back B. Lay it in the back and get a cargo rack to put on top so it stays in place or C. Get something like this http://www.quadratec.com/products/12147_100_07.htm
Old 11-07-2012, 01:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 169 Likes on 144 Posts

If you put it in the back, you need to think about how to fasten it down so it stays put in a bad accident.
That means something more substantial than the little tie-downs that may already be there.

Maybe something like this:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...-downs-179999/

Here is a picture from the thread linked:

Last edited by ronjenx; 11-07-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Spare tire in rear area of JKU??