Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spare Tire Question

Old 03-16-2012, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Tire Question

Can you use a stock rubicon tire as a spare if you have 33's or even 35's?

The reason I ask is I have 2 brand new rubi tires and am getting 33's or 35's so I thought maybe I could save $300 by using one of them as the spare. Plus I wouldnt have to get a tire carrier.

This would only be used at lower speeds and as an emergency, get me outta trouble type of deal.

Or am I just stupid?
Old 03-16-2012, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

You really don't want to run a stock tire as a spare when you have over sized tires on your rig especially when you have lockers. a large on one side and a small tire on the other side of an axle will make your differential work overtime do to the small tire spinning at a faster rate than the large tire.

If you loose a tire on the trail and need your locker to get you out you can pretty much assume your going to break something with 2 different sized tires locked together.

I hope I have made sense.

There is no such thing as a dumb question.

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2012, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by finfreeze
You really don't want to run a stock tire as a spare when you have over sized tires on your rig especially when you have lockers. a large on one side and a small tire on the other side of an axle will make your differential work overtime do to the small tire spinning at a faster rate than the large tire.

If you loose a tire on the trail and need your locker to get you out you can pretty much assume your going to break something with 2 different sized tires locked together.

I hope I have made sense.

There is no such thing as a dumb question.

Good luck!
X2 great explanation.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MoreOvalteenPlz

X2 great explanation.
Why thank you kind sir!
Old 03-16-2012, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by finfreeze

Why thank you kind sir!
Welcome brotha!
Old 03-16-2012, 08:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Transfer case won't like it either.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
Transfer case won't like it either.
Thats a fact! I don't even want to think of what that would cost!

I have a question. What causes the break in the transfer case I have seen on the project-jk videos?

Not trying to jack the thread, just curious.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Vibrations that harmonize without absorbsion is udually the case (No Punn). Things like shaft balance , shaft speed from regearing , improper pinion angle from lift installs.

Harmonic dampeners used to be commonplace on transfer cases (Usually heavy rubber discs with a heavy rubber plate fastened to them) that absorbed harmonic vibrations. With new oem aplications getting very close tolerances from the factory reducing vibrations they started to not have the need for them.

However, once outside the factory specs (Hence regear , lift and pinion angles) introduction of vibrations is a very easy thing to incur as the factory spec is now no longer in play.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
Vibrations that harmonize without absorbsion is udually the case (No Punn). Things like shaft balance , shaft speed from regearing , improper pinion angle from lift installs.

Harmonic dampeners used to be commonplace on transfer cases (Usually heavy rubber discs with a heavy rubber plate fastened to them) that absorbed harmonic vibrations. With new oem aplications getting very close tolerances from the factory reducing vibrations they started to not have the need for them.

However, once outside the factory specs (Hence regear , lift and pinion angles) introduction of vibrations is a very easy thing to incur as the factory spec is now no longer in play.
sweet, thanks! I thought there might have been a weak spot associated with larger than stock tires and harder than "normal"wheeling that had something to do with it.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Meh yes that too. If you are spinning free in the front pretty good as you are cresting a rock and go from spinning to traction and rear goes free (Like seesaw action) then yes expect a shattered case. OR if stuck THEN shifting into 4wd and wheelspin is allowed before engagement actually happens that will do it too.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Question