Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spare Tire mounted on hood.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I miss a lekker brai. An old skellem living in LA sent me some boerevorse the other day. Still have it in my freezer. Soon I'll hoist the old oranja blanja en blou (I have an old original), and have a good brai. I have to wait until sping.

vasbyt kakhys
I'am with you all the way a lekker brai and good boerevorse but the old oranja blanja en blou flag No man that's not so lekker, and from the bad old days in South Africa.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know what, this thread is giving me some good ideas. I think I will remove all of the seats and have four spares to sit on, this way I can keep a full set of 37's right inside for quick change! Maybe just line spares all around the outside like a tugboat
Old 03-02-2008, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by zungazi
I'am with you all the way a lekker brai and good boerevorse but the old oranja blanja en blou flag No man that's not so lekker, and from the bad old days in South Africa.
With you all the way Zungazi. Bayete!

I live here as my wife is American, and misses her folks too much when we live in South Africa. I embrace the new S.A. warts and all, and would never ever want the taai tye of the republic. Haibo!

Cheers

Paul
Old 03-02-2008, 04:43 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by You Jeep
You know what, this thread is giving me some good ideas. I think I will remove all of the seats and have four spares to sit on, this way I can keep a full set of 37's right inside for quick change! Maybe just line spares all around the outside like a tugboat
LMAO. Good one.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by brattwurzt
I checked it out on the jeep with a tape measure, and putnam_dan is right. The visibility is just "wacked". Even with a 9.5" tire, you loose about 15 - 20 feet in front of you, and I am a tall guy. Can't imaging what it would do to a short guy. I was about to pull my spare and sit it up there and take a photo, and I discovered the dealership stole my security nut key on Thursday when I had my tires rotated.

Anyway, I certainly think it would look cool, and it is certainly physically possible, but the side effects are just not worth it.

Anyway, still love to see a photo from britjk when he has one.
Hey - I put the tire(and wheel) on the hood. Took some pics but I'm waiting for her to get home so I can find out where she put the disc for Olympus Master - which loaded with my camera - but I accidentally deleted it trying to clean up my computer last week. You're right.
It would work if you were 6'8". The hood doesn't buckle or bend and the tire sits on the rubber stops and could be held down with the windshield tie bracket - but oh well. It was just an idea.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Other than visibility concerns, I'd be afraid of having all that weight on the flimsy hood. I just went through the car wash the other day and just the air from the blowers was making the hood cave in a little.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepgreensahara
Other than visibility concerns, I'd be afraid of having all that weight on the flimsy hood. I just went through the car wash the other day and just the air from the blowers was making the hood cave in a little.
Cough,cough. It says no car wash in the handbook. Not that I listened.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

What did you ever find out about the tire on the hood. Any ideas. Pictures to come.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:37 AM
JK Freak

Alright guys, kinda just skimied this thread and didnt see any pics on the JK, so since i have this X with the crappy little van tire, when i get back from work tonight i will place my spare on my hood and take some pics from outside and inside so everyone can get an idea

One thing for sure is it will stop the hood lift at highway speeds
Old 04-07-2008, 03:26 PM
JK Freak

Alright, so for anyone considering this, here are some pictures of my stock spare on the hood. It really in my opinion doesnt look too good. Plus the visibility it cut down alot. See for yourself, the pictures are attached.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood 2.jpg
Views:	2231
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	7782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hoodagain 1 1.jpg
Views:	5610
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	7783  

Quick Reply: Spare Tire mounted on hood.