Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spare Tire mounted on hood.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i havent read this whole thread, so this may have already been said, but one of the reasons why they could put it on the hood was the fact that the tires used were only 9" wide.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

hey zangazi,

I'm originally from Cape Town myself, and before that from East London. Good to see someone from the motherland.

Hope you get your JK soon.
Hey my bro, cool to see you okes on that side too my man. Ja , I still dig the US of A. I did my last 3 years in high school and 4 years of university( collage) in San Diego California. Still go back there ( love the place) when I get a gap to see my old mates.
My JK has still to come.
Kaapstad is the only city in SA I can live in, but still get up to the bush when I can.

As for the spare wheel thing, I think it should be on the back of a Jeep and not on the hood. I'm old shool and think it should be the same for the JK.
But hey that's me, but if you guys just have to have it on the hood go for it. Show us some pics.

Last edited by zungazi; 03-01-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zungazi
Hey my bro, cool to see you okes on that side too my man. Ja , I still dig the US of A. I did my last 3 years in high school and 4 years of university( collage) in San Diego California. Still go back there ( love the place) when I get a gap to see my old mates.
My JK has still to come.
Kaapstad is the only city in SA I can live in, but still get up to the bush when I can.

As for the spare wheel thing, I think it should be on the back of a Jeep and not on the hood. I'm old skill and think it should be the same for the JK.
But hey that's me, but if you guys just have to have it on the hood go for it. Show us some pics.
I miss a lekker brai. An old skellem living in LA sent me some boerevorse the other day. Still have it in my freezer. Soon I'll hoist the old oranja blanja en blou (I have an old original), and have a good brai. I have to wait until sping.

Anyway, about this thread. I had a good look under the hood today, and there are some really good possibilities for mounting a serious wheel support there, anchored to the side walls (the fastening holes are already there). I think I need to get to work on this... well maybe I'll wait till it gets a bit warmer. Perhaps the same weekend as my brai.

vasbyt kakhys
Old 02-29-2008, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

Talking Sweet

Can't wait till you finish it and got pics....

Also, who said he is removing the spare? He may have four tires on the ground, one on the hood, one on the back and a couple on the top, and three for passengers...... why not?
Old 03-01-2008, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by britjk
See what I can do and i'll let you know.
brit, please post pics of the spare placed on your hood as soon as you have them.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by putnam dan
the LR hood also insets the spare. But I still want to see a 35"x12.5 up there
yup, I was doing some research, and the inset looks only about 1/2". I still think it's OK to run a thinner spare. Sort of like most cars only have a donut. If you keep the same diameter, it will still get you home.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default new hood

I just checked the mopar parts list, and a new hood runs about $225. I really wouldn't like to start cutting into my existing hood, just in case it doesn't work out so well.

This price is better than I imagined.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Again...rendered speechless...but, if you must, put one of those donut spares on the hood...damn....why did I say that???
Old 03-01-2008, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dustoff '68
Again...rendered speechless...but, if you must, put one of those donut spares on the hood...damn....why did I say that???
Does this look like a donut?

35" donut 9.5" wide
Old 03-01-2008, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I checked it out on the jeep with a tape measure, and putnam_dan is right. The visibility is just "wacked". Even with a 9.5" tire, you loose about 15 - 20 feet in front of you, and I am a tall guy. Can't imaging what it would do to a short guy. I was about to pull my spare and sit it up there and take a photo, and I discovered the dealership stole my security nut key on Thursday when I had my tires rotated.

Anyway, I certainly think it would look cool, and it is certainly physically possible, but the side effects are just not worth it.

Anyway, still love to see a photo from britjk when he has one.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire mounted on hood.