Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spare Tire mounted on hood.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by britjk
How about my factory spare which is not like my other tires. It's the OEM 255/70/18 on the Sahara 18' wheel.
sure, that could work as well. That's about 10" wide I think.

Anyway, we are not going to solve this soon. I may have to order a new hood to modify. I think this is a fairly long term project.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by brattwurzt
sure, that could work as well. That's about 10" wide I think.

Anyway, we are not going to solve this soon. I may have to order a new hood to modify. I think this is a fairly long term project.
Yes i know. Can't run a rack from fender to fender because they're frickin- plastic.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

yes, but I think we can run a rack under the hood, supported on the sides. The rack would be fixed in place (removable), but to open the hood, you have to remove the tire, then lift the hood. The rack stays put, only removed if you need to access anything in the engine.

This solves the problem with the hood supporting the weight, as the weight is actually supported by the rack that is fixed to the engine compartment walls. Just a working theory as I have not looked under the hood to see the tolerances or mounting placement.

Would be great to actually dent the hood if there is room.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by brattwurzt
yes, but I think we can run a rack under the hood, supported on the sides. The rack would be fixed in place (removable), but to open the hood, you have to remove the tire, then lift the hood. The rack stays put, only removed if you need to access anything in the engine.

This solves the problem with the hood supporting the weight, as the weight is actually supported by the rack that is fixed to the engine compartment walls. Just a working theory as I have not looked under the hood to see the tolerances or mounting placement.

Would be great to actually dent the hood if there is room.
I'll send you a big rock. The rack could also hold a HiLift Jack and lights. Hmmmmm. There's a thought.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

gotta run. I think this is a good direction
Old 02-28-2008, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Bratt - but I'm beginning to think the Rock spider might be right on this one. Thanks zungazi.
all right - I'll take a Rock Spider's advice on this.Oops - I meant zungazi. Nice rigs by the way.
You are both welcome mates and thanks but the those pics are from way back in the day when I was a Young buck Game Ranger and then a 4x4 instructor for Land Rover in the UK. Like I said still run some Landys for work and play. I do 4x4 instruction for Jeep and and use JK alot, can't Wait for my new JK Rubi 2 door come.

By the way one more thing, if you do have a heavy spare on the hood it's a bitch to lift up when you need to look/work under the hood. You feel like your are weight lifting in the Olympics.

Last edited by zungazi; 02-28-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zungazi
You are both welcome mates and thanks but the those pics are from way back in the day when I was a Young buck Game Ranger and then a 4x4 instructor for Land Rover in the UK. Like I said still run some Landys for work and play. I do 4x4 instruction for Jeep and and use JK alot, can't Wait for my new JK Rubi 2 door come.

By the way one more thing, if you do have a heavy spare on the hood it's a bitch to lift up when you need to look/work under the hood. You feel like your are weight lifting in the Olympics.
hey zangazi,

I'm originally from Cape Town myself, and before that from East London. Good to see someone from the motherland.

Hope you get your JK soon.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toad
Actually, having the spare in the back acts as a somewhat bumper if you were to get hit from behind...and about no one ever using it...anyone who has gone off-roading knows the importance of that spare. Believe me..it gets used.
toad, would that be in an emergency?

I did say "except for an emergency"

Last edited by brattwurzt; 02-28-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Idea sounds kickass Brit. I am in Charlotte. Lemme know when ya figure out how to do it and I will come over and pay ya to fix mine up. Can't wait to see it.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:30 PM
JK Super Freak

See what I can do and i'll let you know.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire mounted on hood.