Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spare Tire mounted on hood.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKRUBI
I crossed the metric size on RedRock's tire conversion and that's what it converts to in a standard size.
Thanks for taking the time.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by britjk
My spare sits 30" off the ground at the bottom - and if I get rear ended by a normal vehicle - my trailer hitch will really ---- them up.
I dont mean that, I mean.. say its mounted to your hood and you get rear ended.. I wouldnt want my 90 lb. tire coming though the windshield at my face
Old 02-28-2008, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I could see mounting a bracket on the front bumper, and having in front of the grill (it might present a problem with overheating) some of the older C series Chevy pickups used to have this setup in the late 60's early 70s.
The olny way I would do this were if I were going into the bush for a V E R Y long run, and already had a spare in the back and couple on the roof mounted safari rack.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by racer83l
I dont mean that, I mean.. say its mounted to your hood and you get rear ended.. I wouldnt want my 90 lb. tire coming though the windshield at my face
I know - just trying to keep the smile going.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Josephus
I could see mounting a bracket on the front bumper, and having in front of the grill (it might present a problem with overheating) some of the older C series Chevy pickups used to have this setup in the late 60's early 70s.
The olny way I would do this were if I were going into the bush for a V E R Y long run, and already had a spare in the back and couple on the roof mounted safari rack.
I was only trying to find out the Pro's and Con's of this before I decided to see if it was possible. Just Fishing?
Old 02-28-2008, 01:10 PM
JK Freak

The suspense is killing me.....

Old 02-28-2008, 01:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Conradfreedumb

The suspense is killing me.....

Can't help you till Saturday - it's when my camera comes back. But if you're bored - take off your spare - place it on the hood and take pics from outside and inside. I dare you.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:13 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't do it. Even with all the reinforcement for the hood.....what about in an accident? The extra weight of that fatty on the hood could be enough inertia to rip the hood right off with it in an violent impact. Might kill somebody that otherwise wouldda lived.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I wouldn't do it. Even with all the reinforcement for the hood.....what about in an accident? The extra weight of that fatty on the hood could be enough inertia to rip the hood right off with it in an violent impact. Might kill somebody that otherwise wouldda lived.
Me -right? Never be a wouldda - always be a shouldda.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by racer83l
If it was supported well it shouldn't go anywhere from a rear end collosion, but I would be concerned with front end crash. With all the unknown crumple zones and stock hood easily buckled, if you reinforce it to hold the tire, the whole thing might try to enter the cab.

Originally Posted by BLKRUBI
I crossed the metric size on RedRock's tire conversion (here: redrock4x4.com/tech/tire_calc.php) and that's what it converts to in a standard size.
Metric tire sizes are the coolest, I love the metric system

size / 25.4 = width (in inches)
width x aspect ratio = height
wheel dia + two heights = overall diameter

305 / 25.4 = 12.008" wide
12.008 x .65 = 7.805" tall
7.805 + 7.805 + 18 = 33.610" overall height

Last edited by gold knight; 02-28-2008 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire mounted on hood.