Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

spare tire mount question

Old 05-15-2014, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spare tire mount question

I am considering buying new wheels but using my factory tires until they need replacing.
the new wheels have a 4.5 back spacing. (level 8 tracker)

Question:
Do I need anything on my spare tire mount to account for this change in back spacing?
Will this make the wheels stick out so that they do not touch the bump stops, making it unstable?
or am i fine as is.

thanks for advice.

I have a 2014 Jeep Jk Sport-S, with the SRA tires
Old 05-15-2014, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes placing further from the tail gate even with extended bump stops will put more stress on the factory carrier than it was designed for. There are a lot of good reviews on the Teraflex hinged tire carrier with adjustable mount. This will allow you to mount the tire closer to the tailgate and strengthen the tailgate. There may be others that do the same, the Teraflex mount is what comes to mind because that is what I'm considering for my Jeep.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Daystar makes extended bumpstops that you can trim to fit if needed. As long as the tire is snug and not rattling around, you will be fine, especially since you're sticking with stock tires.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes it puts stress, but if it is only for a while with no hard off-roading you should be fine. I ran my stock carrier with a 35 on it for a few weeks till I got the teraflex hd hinge and I didn't use the adjustable one I put the stock back on and it clears the third brake light and the bumper barely. Bump stops haven't done yet I just keep the are torqued. That's my 2 cents.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can run a 35 on a 4.5 BS indefinitely on the stock bracket. Get some day star tailgate bump stops and cut off the outermost section. Get an Off Camber Fabrication tailgate brace kit.

I have ran a 37" on a 4" BS beadlocks for years this way.

People run 35s with nothing changed with no problem all the time.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smitty12JKU
Yes placing further from the tail gate even with extended bump stops will put more stress on the factory carrier than it was designed for. There are a lot of good reviews on the Teraflex hinged tire carrier with adjustable mount. This will allow you to mount the tire closer to the tailgate and strengthen the tailgate. There may be others that do the same, the Teraflex mount is what comes to mind because that is what I'm considering for my Jeep.
I have looked into the teraflex, and seems like a good permanent solution. but since the price is around $200, it's something that will have to wait. I would need some heavier tires to justify that cost.

Originally Posted by afpilot82
Daystar makes extended bumpstops that you can trim to fit if needed. As long as the tire is snug and not rattling around, you will be fine, especially since you're sticking with stock tires.
I just ordered the daystar bumpstop. I have read such mixed reviews on this but seems like a good first choice as the price is right for the stock tires before investing on something like the teraflex tire mount solution. I hope i don't get the foam one that everyone seems to hate!
Old 05-15-2014, 10:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Doschmafia
Yes it puts stress, but if it is only for a while with no hard off-roading you should be fine. I ran my stock carrier with a 35 on it for a few weeks till I got the teraflex hd hinge and I didn't use the adjustable one I put the stock back on and it clears the third brake light and the bumper barely. Bump stops haven't done yet I just keep the are torqued. That's my 2 cents.
no hardcore off roading. just occasional beginner trails. it's good to know your 35s held up. i'm still with the stocker 32s so I should be ok for now. what do you torque the spare lugs at?
Old 05-15-2014, 11:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

40-80 ft lbs. I just torque mine to about 50 ft lbs. Also I have 33' Duratracs with stock wheels on my stock carrier with no issues.

Whoops sorry i misread, I thought you were talking about stock wheels.

Last edited by Canibeat; 05-15-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HardcoreHeath
You can run a 35 on a 4.5 BS indefinitely on the stock bracket. Get some day star tailgate bump stops and cut off the outermost section. Get an Off Camber Fabrication tailgate brace kit.

I have ran a 37" on a 4" BS beadlocks for years this way.

People run 35s with nothing changed with no problem all the time.
thanks for that info. i feel much more confident with the daystar bump stop.
what is this tailgate brace kit? do you have a link? i can't seem to find the product on their website
Old 05-16-2014, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sitting duk
thanks for that info. i feel much more confident with the daystar bump stop. what is this tailgate brace kit? do you have a link? i can't seem to find the product on their website
. http://www.quadratec.com/products/22202_1001.htm

Quick Reply: spare tire mount question