Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

spare tire delete? pros? cons? pics?

Old 07-17-2012 | 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks wings fan, x2
Old 07-17-2012 | 07:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BIGNICK
Thanks wings fan, x2
Originally Posted by Wings fan
Let me start by saying I'm on my third set of tires and have always ran a spare. However after 95k miles and countless wheeling trips on all kinds of trails I have only one time ran into a situation where I couldn't fix a tire or reseat a blown bead on the trail as fast as changing a tire.

Don't get me wrong I have had several tires lose a bead, tear a valve steam off however all repairable. The only time not repairable was a sway bar link problem where the quick disco was put on backwards and it tore a gash in the inner side wall. This was not repairable this also resulted in the spare tire being blown and borrowing a spare from another jeep to get home. So that being said other than a rig set up problem I have never had a situation where a spare was needed on the trail.

So back on topic how many people have needed a spare in a situation that couldn't be solved with a patch kit, spare valve steam and a trail compressor?
I'm sure a lot of it depends on geographics. I personally have seen it three times on runs I've put on end up w/torn sidewalls. I know plenty of guys w/torn sidewalls that needed replacement on top of personal experience. Unfortunately the incidents I know of, have been w/km2s.
Old 07-18-2012 | 03:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Well, I do carry a spare, BUT, if you were properly setup and prepared, you could go without. You would need to have real bead-lock rims and carry a tire tube or two, patch kit, plug kit and spare valve stems. That way you could easily make the repair on the trail. Also, you can break a tire bead with a Hi-Lift and use spoons to remove the tire, but bead-locks are easier (but probably no faster).
Old 07-18-2012 | 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

As for a cheap compressor, the thirty dollar heavy duty SLIME from wal mart has run with me for years with no issues. I almoat prefer it to my viair oba system
Old 07-18-2012 | 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JDScott10
As for a cheap compressor, the thirty dollar heavy duty SLIME from wal mart has run with me for years with no issues. I almoat prefer it to my viair oba system
do you run it with a air tank because i was lloking to also install an air horn. figured why not enough people cut me off during the week it'll go to good use.
Old 07-18-2012 | 03:41 PM
JK Freak
Veteran: Air Force

My opinion, I bet not a popular one, I did the delete. I'm 46 - never a flat in my whole life, not one. Now some would say "Never a flat, every day that goes by puts you closer". And they would be right! I love the looks without one, I do include it in my rotation. Pros - less weight - better vision - easier on tailgate hinges and sheet metal. Can't steel a spare that ain't there ! Easier trailer hook-up. Cons - you don't have a spare, you don't have a spare aaaaaaaaaaaand you don't have a spare.
Old 07-18-2012 | 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yea def. Better visability. Do you guys kno if they have aftermarket bumpers made for keeps w/o spares. Ones w/o that indentation where the tire would be. Thanks
Old 07-18-2012 | 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

those you that DONT have a spare

what about trips.. not offroad but vacations / anywhere from 4 to 7 hour drives

do you put your spare on then or continue on without it?

Im preparing to order a spare finally as the stock spare will do me no good since im on 35's and 3" lift

But im thinking before I go on my next vacation since I will be taking the Jeep I better go ahead and mount a spare.. I could carry it in the rear but that would take up alot of space for me and my girl to load stuff up in the back...

Just curious as to those who chose to delete.. what u do in the vacation / hwy travel situations??

THANKS
Old 07-18-2012 | 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jrocket167
those you that DONT have a spare

what about trips.. not offroad but vacations / anywhere from 4 to 7 hour drives

do you put your spare on then or continue on without it?

Im preparing to order a spare finally as the stock spare will do me no good since im on 35's and 3" lift

But im thinking before I go on my next vacation since I will be taking the Jeep I better go ahead and mount a spare.. I could carry it in the rear but that would take up alot of space for me and my girl to load stuff up in the back...

Just curious as to those who chose to delete.. what u do in the vacation / hwy travel situations??

THANKS
Just came back from a trip from Montreal Canada to Myrtle Beach, SC. Didnt bring my spare as I removed the carrier months ago. Carried a plug kit. Tires were reasonably new so risk of a complete blow out is next to impossible. Worst case scenario would have been a flat but then again, running on an interstate, what the heck are the chances of that happening. Saved me 100lbs of dead useless weight.
I only take my spare on trail runs. And i always include it in the rotation.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep2010.jpg
Views:	3481
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	342824  
Old 07-18-2012 | 05:26 PM
JK Freak

One day u will tear off your license plate holder and will have to do the delete. IMO looks so much better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120718_212517.jpg
Views:	2258
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	342828

Quick Reply: spare tire delete? pros? cons? pics?