Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

spare tire delete? pros? cons? pics?

Old 07-08-2012 | 05:41 PM
JK Freak

I have a JKU and I would love if they came up with a bracket to mount your spare in the trunk space. A 35 fits in there no problem even with the seat folded up but I don't like the idea of having a loose tire sitting in there.
Old 07-08-2012 | 05:42 PM
JK Freak

When driving around town i have no spare, but i have my arb compressor and patch kit for an ordinary nail puncture. But for trails i always carry a spare in my trunk, no question
Old 07-08-2012 | 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Tying in the spare is very easy using the roll bar and a ratchet strap, in a 2 door at least.
Old 07-09-2012 | 06:24 PM
JK Freak

Seems most have given you the same answer. I try to go as prepared as possible w/recovery equip, tools, spare parts, etc on runs. To both help others and not be "that guy". I sure wouldn't want to be the one with a flat tire on the trail without something as basic as a spare alone or with a group. The negatives far outweigh the small pros of at least carrying it in the cargo area.
Old 07-17-2012 | 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Appreciate the feedback guys. Just live the look without the spare. Think ill run with a spare in the trunk for offroadin and patches and plugs for town drivin. I work on cars so I'm pretty good with quick fixes.

Also anyone have any suggestions for a compressor for a 35 tire. Just for flats. I don't air down and its a 2 Door keep in mind

Thanks guys
Old 07-17-2012 | 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I run an ARB and most the guys I wheel with run that or the VIAR. Never had issues with either of those. Couple of the guys ran the no names wich worked fine but eventually stoped working so they upgraded and have had no issues. Hope that helps.
Old 07-17-2012 | 02:18 PM
JK Freak

I did the same with my spare tire 37s are a bit too heavy for the tail gate lol
Originally Posted by GreenJK07
I run a spare mounted on my floor in the back of my 2 door. I ripped off the stock carrier crawling and never looked back.
Old 07-17-2012 | 03:11 PM
JK Freak

I think it looks terrible without the spare.
Old 07-17-2012 | 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by n3tfury
I think it looks terrible without the spare.
Yeah I personally think it looks better with the spare on. But to each his own
Old 07-17-2012 | 05:08 PM
JK Freak

Let me start by saying I'm on my third set of tires and have always ran a spare. However after 95k miles and countless wheeling trips on all kinds of trails I have only one time ran into a situation where I couldn't fix a tire or reseat a blown bead on the trail as fast as changing a tire.

Don't get me wrong I have had several tires lose a bead, tear a valve steam off however all repairable. The only time not repairable was a sway bar link problem where the quick disco was put on backwards and it tore a gash in the inner side wall. This was not repairable this also resulted in the spare tire being blown and borrowing a spare from another jeep to get home. So that being said other than a rig set up problem I have never had a situation where a spare was needed on the trail.

So back on topic how many people have needed a spare in a situation that couldn't be solved with a patch kit, spare valve steam and a trail compressor?

Quick Reply: spare tire delete? pros? cons? pics?