Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

spare tire delete? pros? cons? pics?

Old 07-08-2012 | 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default spare tire delete? pros? cons? pics?

still got a little bit of time but when my stock 32s wear out ill get 35s. i was going with the spare tire delete because it would be cheaper i like the look with the re-located license plate. i just go mudding and fool around from time to time but i will be putting in a compressor. so lmk your guys pros and cons w/ pics.

thanks in advanced nick
Old 07-08-2012 | 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just my 2 cents unless you never drive further than you care to walk back home get the spare to match the other 4 tires. People will lend you a jack tools etc but not many will say here run my spare. So save up your cash and get a spare.
Old 07-08-2012 | 05:14 PM
JK Freak

Only upside that comes to mind is the loss of a little weight and a little mpg gain... I can think of several down sides...

Flat, no spare... Could be "ok" for some if it happens daytime, somewhere where a wrecker can get you.... But at night or on the trails... Why would you risk it?!?

Just on my last trail run we had 3 jeeps lose a tire... One to the rock garden, a second took a sharp stick through the sidewall, and the third was ripped open by a loose control arm. A patch/plug kit may help in some situations, but i would never run without a spare... Too much to risk... Imo.
Old 07-08-2012 | 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Won't find many, if ANY, on the forum that'll support not running a spare. If you mud, you run the risk of shredding a tire...you don't know what's in that whole.

Powerline companies in FLA were rumored to throw scrap metal in mudholes to deter mudders.

Compressor won't do well in that situation.
Old 07-08-2012 | 05:23 PM
JK Freak

I think running no spare around town is fine but on trips and wheeling at least throw it in the back!
Old 07-08-2012 | 05:23 PM
JK Junkie

I run a spare mounted on my floor in the back of my 2 door. I ripped off the stock carrier crawling and never looked back.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3997005540.jpg
Views:	7011
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	338837  
Old 07-08-2012 | 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenJK07
I run a spare mounted on my floor in the back of my 2 door. I ripped off the stock carrier crawling and never looked back.
Mines in back of my 2door too . It took my rear door pins out and was banging so in the back it went . Also took the tire Carrier Off . It's in the garage with the backseat!
Old 07-08-2012 | 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I questioned this a while back. It is too risky to not run a spare, but, I deleted my spare on the tire carrier and just keep it in cargo area. I have seen my buddies stock Jeep get stuck twice now up a hill and the spare tire was dug into the ground enough preventing him easier access to get a winch hook or rope around the reciever hitch( he has no bumper hook) he had to remove the tire by digging in very hot weather and after he lost about 10 lbs in sweat and a million mosquito bites we finally got him out lol. Good times Jeepin!
But seriously, keep a spare. look for 1 or 2 used tires and mount em to the factory rim just to be safe.
Happy wheelin!
Old 07-08-2012 | 05:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BIGNICK
still got a little bit of time but when my stock 32s wear out ill get 35s. i was going with the spare tire delete because it would be cheaper i like the look with the re-located license plate. i just go mudding and fool around from time to time but i will be putting in a compressor. so lmk your guys pros and cons w/ pics.

thanks in advanced nick
No. No. No. Nonononononono... Keep the spare. If you absolutely wanna remove it, carry it in the Jeep. Over 100 years of automobiles has taught us a spare is needed. And even more so with wheeling. :(
Old 07-08-2012 | 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd never advocate running without a spare, but I ran with mine in the back for a season, didn't bother me at all. Limits your space, but I do like the look.

Oh and to stay legal, I mounted an LED strip from autozone in the back, it did work, but didn't look very good after a season (started cracking and yellowing):

Last edited by Quentin_T; 07-08-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Quick Reply: spare tire delete? pros? cons? pics?