Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spare tire cover pulls in dust.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use mine only in the winter to protect it from all the salt they use on the roads...... Your spare tire sits far enough back even with a cover on so I'm thinking its something other then the cover. Oh by the way don't drink those fancy coffee's and I'd post a pic of myself in the jeans(not skinny) I'm wearing but I wouldn't want "rays0852" questioning his own sexuality after seeing my pic bahahahaha
GO STEELERS
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-807132832.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	508395  

Last edited by robsjeep9; 10-27-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
I use mine only in the winter to protect it from all the salt they use on the roads...... Your spare tire sits far enough back even with a cover on so I'm thinking its something other then the cover. Oh by the way don't drink those fancy coffee's and I'd post a pic of myself in the jeans(not skinny) I'm wearing but I wouldn't want "rays0852" questioning his own sexuality after seeing my pic bahahahaha
GO STEELERS
Now that is funny. None of those fu fu coffees for me either. Please go ahead and show him some skinny jeans. ;-)
Old 10-28-2013, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Turbo
I installed a nice Mopar Jeep spare tire cover to cover the stock tire. It looks great and fits perfectly. But now at any speed on a dirt road there is a large amount of dust that is drawn in through the tailgate vent. I am guessing the cover is causing a vacuum that is opening the vents to allow the dust in. Does anyone else have this problem? Do I need to replace the vent or take the spare tire cover off to fix the problem? Thank you in advance.
Never had this happen. I ran my 2010 and my 2012 both with and without a spare tire cover. I would put the cover on when I was using my bike rack. It kept the bikes from rubbing the finish off the spare rim when the going got rough. All good.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO run without cover. I don't understand the purpose of them anyway.

Sent while sitting in my Jeep using JK-Forum
Old 10-29-2013, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

I installed a nice Mopar Jeep spare tire cover to cover the stock tire. It looks great and fits perfectly. But now at any speed on a dirt road there is a large amount of dust that is drawn in through the tailgate vent. I am guessing the cover is causing a vacuum that is opening the vents to allow the dust in. Does anyone else have this problem? Do I need to replace the vent or take the spare tire cover off to fix the problem? Thank you in advance.
Ok, silly question: have you tried driving the same dirt roads without cover? While I've never used a tire cover on a wrangler, I'm on my third one and never had a problem with dust coming in the tailgate vent despite different tire sizes and switching to swing outs. You might have a bad seal somewhere else. I have found that running the heater during cold weather wheelin' sucks in all kinds of dust though. I don't weat skinny jeans but I listen to country music and drink foo foo coffee because I don't like labels or convention...
Old 10-30-2013, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think the purpose of the spare tire cover is pride and dignity. Who wants to go around looking cheap or broke because he doesn't have a matching bad ass spare tire instead of a stock tire? I'm telling you it was embarrassing. But spending that much money on a spare tire just seemed wrong somehow.
Now I'm wondering about a guy from Kentucky that drinks fo fo coffee???????????
Old 10-31-2013, 03:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Include your FULL SIZE spare in your tire rotation and you'll gain 20 percent more tire life on all 5 tires - right? Plus...your spare will actually be useful and not dry rot out on ya.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

I think the purpose of the spare tire cover is pride and dignity. Who wants to go around looking cheap or broke because he doesn't have a matching bad ass spare tire instead of a stock tire? I'm telling you it was embarrassing. But spending that much money on a spare tire just seemed wrong somehow.
Now I'm wondering about a guy from Kentucky that drinks fo fo coffee???????????
Haha, if you just happen to be talking about me, you should see my version of fufu coffee it's pretty dang black

Quick Reply: Spare tire cover pulls in dust.