Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spare tire cover pulls in dust.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare tire cover pulls in dust.

I installed a nice Mopar Jeep spare tire cover to cover the stock tire. It looks great and fits perfectly. But now at any speed on a dirt road there is a large amount of dust that is drawn in through the tailgate vent. I am guessing the cover is causing a vacuum that is opening the vents to allow the dust in. Does anyone else have this problem? Do I need to replace the vent or take the spare tire cover off to fix the problem? Thank you in advance.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

Jeeps were made to show their spare tires. Tire covers are for guys who order foo foo coffee drinks and wear skinny jeans.

Just remove it.

Flame suit activated.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:47 PM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

I have a spare tire cover, as well. And although I wear jeans, they're covered in gear oil, gasoline, mud, and they haven't been in a Starbucks. However, I haven't noticed wether or not the spare tire cover draws in dust. If it's dry enough to be dusty, I've had the top down for days. Sorry I couldn't be any help. Do you have a hardtop? It could change your results, I have a soft top. But, like I said, I usually have my too down.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Love the replies. But at 65 years of age I am not sure that skinny jeans would look their best. LOL!! I put 4 nice Duratrac 287/70/17 tires on the JK and the spare is still the stock 255/75/17 SRA. Now that looks really wimpy and I was just trying to save a few hundred dollars to have a new spare tire too, thus the cover. Yes I go have the hard top and we live where there is always dust and it comes down to being able to see and breathe. I think those are important. Can anyone else help me with the problem. I really don't want to have to buy a duratrac spare and take the cover off. No flame suit required. ;-)

Last edited by Turbo; 10-28-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Really??? No one has had bad dust problems in their JK with the Freedom Top when using a spare tire cover? How do I fix it?
Old 10-11-2013, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just remove the spare then. If you're not going to run a matching spare, why have one on there at all? There are many options for deleting the factory mount.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have never heard of this issue. Have you taken a look at the vent flappers to see if they are in good condition?

Click image for larger version

Name:	0ido9.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	504293
Old 10-27-2013, 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by afpilot82
Just remove the spare then. If you're not going to run a matching spare, why have one on there at all? There are many options for deleting the factory mount.
A spare tire is in case of a flat. Maybe to never be used. It need not be removed from the vehicle and will work fine until the tire can be fixed even if it doesn't match the others perfectly.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Have never heard of this issue. Have you taken a look at the vent flappers to see if they are in good condition?

Attachment 504293
Yes I checked the flappers and they seem to be in perfect order. I have now learned when traversing a dirt road at faster than 20 MPH or so to turn the heater fan on at least half way. Makes no difference if it is just blowing fresh air, heat or air. It forces clean air from the front of the vehicle out the vents not allowing the dust. Hope that helps others with this problem.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

Yea.. I kind of was thinking of a different look for my Jeep
Haven't taken it off yet..

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-137482640.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	508394

Quick Reply: Spare tire cover pulls in dust.