Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spare tire carrier 35"

Old 10-27-2014, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare tire carrier 35"

Looking for a good relocation bracket for 35" duratrac spare on my stock carrier.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you even need one? I ran a 35" spare on the stock carrier for a while.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JE8154
Are you sure you even need one? I ran a 35" spare on the stock carrier for a while.
Ditto. I run a Nitto 35" on the stock carrier and it's fine. I did the radiator hose trick to keep it snug to the tailgate, but that's it.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 315/70 17 duratrac did not even come close to fitting on my stock carrier with the stock bumper. I have an aev pintler wheel 5.2 backspace. I had a generic bracket that moved the wheel up maybe 2" and out 2" but then it stuck out too far for my taste even with extended bumpstops. I ended up buying just the teraflex tire mount, it allowed me to adjust the tire right against the factory bumpstops.

Depending on the backspace of your wheel you may be able to get away with a standard bracket (like I had originally) like many manufacturers offer for around $40. Smitty, teraflex and others offer them, the expedition one bracket looks nice but is expensive for a spacer. And if any standard spacer doesn't give the fit you want it is nonadjustable.
Old 10-29-2014, 05:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Satan
My 315/70 17 duratrac did not even come close to fitting on my stock carrier with the stock bumper. I have an aev pintler wheel 5.2 backspace. I had a generic bracket that moved the wheel up maybe 2" and out 2" but then it stuck out too far for my taste even with extended bumpstops. I ended up buying just the teraflex tire mount, it allowed me to adjust the tire right against the factory bumpstops.

Depending on the backspace of your wheel you may be able to get away with a standard bracket (like I had originally) like many manufacturers offer for around $40. Smitty, teraflex and others offer them, the expedition one bracket looks nice but is expensive for a spacer. And if any standard spacer doesn't give the fit you want it is nonadjustable.
Odd. I had the same tire on a 4.5" BS wheel and it wasn't even close to not fitting. I would have had no problem with the AEV wheel either. The Duratrac is barely 34".
Old 10-29-2014, 06:06 AM
JK Junkie

It's the wheel backspace that's going to kill you. I had a 35 toyo mt on the stock carrier with the stock bumper and it just snugged up on the bumper.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Odd. I had the same tire on a 4.5" BS wheel and it wasn't even close to not fitting. I would have had no problem with the AEV wheel either. The Duratrac is barely 34".
Yeah I see guys all of the time saying they put their whatever rim and tire on the stock carrier with no spacers. Didn't even come close to fitting on mine. Ordered my jeep new in 2007. No damage ever. Tailgate and bumper have never moved since the day I bought it.

Bought the pintlers and duratracs from a guy on Craig's list who had sold his jk. Guy threw in the basic spare tire lift bracket with the wheels and tires. He said the spare didn't fit on his jk stock carrier without the bracket. And he was right.

Trending Topics

Old 10-29-2014, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ran my 315 Duratrac on my stock carrier for well over a year with zero issues (17" wheel 4.5 backspace).

I wouldnt have done it with a heavier tire (ie nitto/toyo) but the Duratrac is alot lighter than most 35's and fit great with zero damage to the gate (no signs of wear either)
Old 10-29-2014, 01:31 PM
JK Freak

I run 35's on the stock wheels and the spare would not fit. I use the Expedition One adapter. Works great, and if you look at the design, is not something that will ever bend or break.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 35 on my stock carrier with a spacer and it fits however, it's starting to flex on the tailgate where the carrier mounts. I can hear the metal flexing over bumps. What's this radiator hose trick?

Quick Reply: Spare tire carrier 35"