Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spare Tire Bump Stops/Isolators With Larger Tires....Needed or not?

Old 07-14-2011, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Tire Bump Stops/Isolators With Larger Tires....Needed or not?

Just upgraded wheels and tires from stock to 33" Duratracs and MB Gunner wheels with 4.25" of BS. Needless to say, my new spare doesn't contact the rear isolators/bump stops on the tailgate.

I've read several posts suggesting to invest in Daystar tailgate bump stops to prevent issues with the tailgate sagging. I've also read other posts stating it's not necessary for just a 33" tire.

I know they're relatively cheap, so I'll probably just order them and be safe, but are they really a necessity?
Old 07-14-2011, 03:06 PM
JK Freak

Isolators help keep your spare from moving/vibrating, thus keeping it from damaging mount and/or tailgate. That's why they are there.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

the weight of the spare tire and rim combo ultimately causes the tailgate to have issues in most cases but the isolators do help by holding the tire tight enough to keep it from shaking the tailegate to death which could lead to a failure and or noise even sooner. Id ge tthem asap if you want to try to run the stock tailgate for a while
Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed some daystar ones to help with my 315/70/17 duratracs on stock 17's. Talk about a piece of shit. I remember seeing some one shove a golf ball in the stock isolator and it worked.

Sent from my Supersonic EVO 4Gees!
Old 07-15-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just my humble opinion but I think they will help delay your stock carrier dying. I ran a 35" on my stock carrier for a short time. One afternoon I made a hard run down a fire road with lots of washboard and by the other end my carrier was making noise. I checked it out and it was cracked. I picked up another off Craigslist (upgraded to 37's) and within a month it it was cracked as well. No damage to my tailgate either time. Both times the aluminum split. I didn't run the spacers on the 35's and you could rock the spare back and forth. With the 37 on there I could watch it shaking on dirt roads even with spacers although it was "tighter" by hand. I attribute both failures to vibration coupled with the added weight. Now I just strap my spare in the back and try to break something else.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ordered they Daystar bump stops last night.

The golf ball idea inspired me to take it once step further. Tennis balls. I cut exactly 1" off the stock isolators and forced the tennis balls in there. So far it's worked perfectly.

Top view

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Bump Stops/Isolators With Larger Tires....Needed or not?