Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spare tire bracket help....

Old 01-22-2011, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare tire bracket help....

I bought the Teraflex spare tire bracket and daystar extensions for my new 35" tires. My issue is, I am useing the stock moab rims and with this bracket the wheel is too far away from the tailgate and new Daystar isolators don't touch the tire. Apparently the bracket from Teraflex is only designed for a rim with the correct backspacing. Just wondering who else has this issue. I have the spare inside for now until I come up with a different plan. Thanks...
Old 01-22-2011, 05:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dozerdriver
I bought the Teraflex spare tire bracket and daystar extensions for my new 35" tires. My issue is, I am useing the stock moab rims and with this bracket the wheel is too far away from the tailgate and new Daystar isolators don't touch the tire. Apparently the bracket from Teraflex is only designed for a rim with the correct backspacing. Just wondering who else has this issue. I have the spare inside for now until I come up with a different plan. Thanks...
I have the smittybilt bracket that look similar to yours I saw in another post. I'm also running stock wheels.. won't have it on until tomorrow, but will let you know if I run into the same issue... Darn, trying to do this on the cheap until I can get a bumper..
Old 01-22-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

After thinking about this some more... a aftermarket rim would have a 4.5" backspacing and the stock rim is 6.25" backspacing. So with that said, the stock rim should be closer to the tailgate isolators then a aftermarket rim using this bracket. So what I assume is the tire isn't suppose to rest on the isolators with this bracket. Correct me if I am wrong...
Old 01-22-2011, 06:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Yeah I have the same stock setup but haven't ordered anything yet. Let me know what you find out !!
Old 01-22-2011, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am thinking that a 2" wheel spacer would put this stock rim and 35" tire on the back about perfect. It looks like it would sit in the stock bumper grove tight and would also hit the daystar isolators. Has anyone tried this idea??

Quick Reply: Spare tire bracket help....