Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: What best describes your spare tire situation.
Had a spare, and needed it.
48.89%
Had a spare, never needed it.
51.11%
No spare, and needed one.
0%
No spare, and never needed one.
0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Spare tire...

Old 07-20-2014, 11:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepingNet
I only had a stock rubicon tire on my spare when I sliced a valve stem on the trail. (running 35s) It luckily was near the end of the trail and I made it out ok but I was 300km from home.. So I had to have it towed to a near by tire shop and get a hotel to wait for the shop to open in the morning. Nice $300 mistake I bought a 35 from a fellow jeeper who was getting new tires. Its a nice tire at about 50% and paid about $50. Very worth it!
Are you telling me that a 3 inch smaller tire could not be used on the rear for a very short time? I'd say BS. I had a 93 Ford lightning with a 275/60-17 regular size tire and a much smaller spare under the bed. The owners manual simply stated that if the flat was on the front it had to be mounted on the rear and the good rear wheel tire moved to the front. And it was temporary use only even though the tire was identical to the base model f-150 tires.

I think you could have easily driven the Jeep with the 32" stock tire on the back and simply bought a valve stem at an auto parts store for a dollar. You could have possibly replaced it as well. Lay the tire flat on the ground. Step on the sidewall to break the bead, install the Valve stem and re inflate. Not a $300 problem.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chefbrujo
No offense here, but if with a skid you are hitting ur carrier enough for u to consider not running a spare, it's probably time to reconsider your wheeling style. Maybe different lines would help?
When you come off a 4 to 5 foot straight down drop it's kind of impossible to not hit something. My wheeling style is conservative compared to the guys I wheel with.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:12 PM
JK Junkie

Basically the only people here who have had an issue were running stock rims and took off a valve stem or got a nail in a tire. If anyone of the 12 people that said they needed their spare has a different situation I'd be interested to hear it.

Considering running spyderlocks so the valve stem getting taken off by a rock isn't exactly a major concern.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a spare to match my new wheels and tires but I take my trailer every time I go wheeling and keep it and my 4 wheeler in it so the kids can have some fun too!
Old 07-21-2014, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I run the stock Rubi wheels with metal valve stems. Rubbed one on a rock and mashed the end over. Glad I had a spare.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Collyn
Are you telling me that a 3 inch smaller tire could not be used on the rear for a very short time? I'd say BS. I had a 93 Ford lightning with a 275/60-17 regular size tire and a much smaller spare under the bed. The owners manual simply stated that if the flat was on the front it had to be mounted on the rear and the good rear wheel tire moved to the front. And it was temporary use only even though the tire was identical to the base model f-150 tires.

I think you could have easily driven the Jeep with the 32" stock tire on the back and simply bought a valve stem at an auto parts store for a dollar. You could have possibly replaced it as well. Lay the tire flat on the ground. Step on the sidewall to break the bead, install the Valve stem and re inflate. Not a $300 problem.

A short period is 3 hours? I said the part stores were all closed until the next day.. Yes It would have been nice if I had a spare valve stem (I do actually now) but I also don't want to be that guy who spend an hour replacing a valve stem.

Buy a used spare or get 5 tires and do a 5 tire rotation. It is worth it.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive used mine twice. First time some asshole left a piece of 3/4"dia x 6" rebar on the trail and it destroyed the tire.

Second time I slid into a hole and got a chunk of wood about 3 fingers wide stuck between the wheel and the bead of the tire. Fortunately it still held air and I was able to finish the trail but I changed it out for the drive home as I didnt feel comfortable with the hunk of wood stuck in it.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used my spare a few times - cut sidewall, puncture, failed/torn stem, etc...

If I went and did it all again, I *might* run without a spare, but it would require a bit of prep first:

True beadlock wheels (ie Hutchinsons) that allow the tire to be removed in the field

On board air compressor

True tire repair kit with patches, sewing steel, plugs, etc

Time to practice with above to be sure a field repair is doable.

Yes, a spare is faster/easier, but this could work. I was going to say it would also save weight, but it will not in the end, Hutchinson's are heavy.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not me personally but I was with a friend who had a stick go through a side wall with the factory tires.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by JE8154
Basically the only people here who have had an issue were running stock rims and took off a valve stem or got a nail in a tire. If anyone of the 12 people that said they needed their spare has a different situation I'd be interested to hear it.
Used the spare four times. Two tpms valve stems in aftermarket mb72 rims. 2" branch through a sidewall. Then a sliced sidewall plus a non-tpms metal stem. Can't justify the cost of beadlocks, but rock rings would be nice.

Quick Reply: Spare tire...