Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: What best describes your spare tire situation.
Had a spare, and needed it.
48.89%
Had a spare, never needed it.
51.11%
No spare, and needed one.
0%
No spare, and never needed one.
0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Spare tire...

Old 07-20-2014, 08:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rokclimbertx
Looks like a roof rack is in order since you seem set on not carrying a spare on the bumper/tailgate.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
No offense, but putting a spare on a roof rack is straight retarded. Even more so with a 37.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess if you don't take your spare with you and you slash a tire out on the trail, one of your buddies will take you back to camp to get it instead of a possible quick trail tire change and keep having fun. Hope the buddy has room in his Jeep to carry your spare back to your Jeep for you.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TxJeepers
I guess if you don't take your spare with you and you slash a tire out on the trail, one of your buddies will take you back to camp to get it instead of a possible quick trail tire change and keep having fun. Hope the buddy has room in his Jeep to carry your spare back to your Jeep for you.
Don't be that guy. I'd be pissed if someone I was with wheeled without a spare by choice and got a flat on the trail. It's not fair to the group. Sometimes you have to pay to play. Get a carrier that works for the type of wheeling you do.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JE8154
Bumper was ACE, replaced it with crawler conceptz skinny series (BFH copy). My spare is mounted on an ORFab no cans carrier. The bumper should never make contact with anything now, but the spare is looking pretty vulnerable when coming off a ledge or going into a dug out climb.
I carry a spare but haven't needed it yet. I have the Or fab can/tire carrier and I've never had a problem with it hitting on anything even on drops or steep climbs (on a 4dr with 37's though). From my experience it hits the trailer hitch or bumper even though my spare is so far back.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Another reason I went with this setup

Plus it looks awesome.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:40 AM
JK Freak

No offense here, but if with a skid you are hitting ur carrier enough for u to consider not running a spare, it's probably time to reconsider your wheeling style. Maybe different lines would help?
Old 07-20-2014, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 205 Likes on 185 Posts

I carry a plug kit, a compressor, plus a spare tire. In the old days, it was all that plus a half-gallon of green slime in each tire too. Haven't had to resort to a spare tire in 20+ years.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:05 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I can't vote as no category for me. I have a spare and have not used it. I have been wheeling with guys that have needed their spare mostly due to knocked out valve stems in the rocks.

Last edited by jadmt; 07-20-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JE8154
I've been debating ditching my spare tire before I catch it on a rock and peel my tire carrier off the back of my jeep. So here's my question... How many of you have actually needed a spare tire while wheeling? If so what wheel and tire combination were you running, and what was the situation that you were in? i.e broke a bead, cut a side wall etc.
Have a spare, needed it, glad I had it.

Was wheeling with my girls, snagged valve stem in the rocks, mangled it such that I could not bend or fix without completely replacing it.

Stock rim, stock Rubi tire. The spare got us home. Messing with a tire when the family is with me turns them off. The easier the time is, the more they like off-roading. Being stranded would not be a fun experience. Hiking out with three little ones would not be fun.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Don't be that guy. I'd be pissed if someone I was with wheeled without a spare by choice and got a flat on the trail. It's not fair to the group. Sometimes you have to pay to play. Get a carrier that works for the type of wheeling you do.
Indeed, just because someone finds carrying a spare to be inconvenient on the trail, doesn't mean that they will be entitled to the use of mine, quite the contrary.

Quick Reply: Spare tire...