Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spare tire

Old 01-06-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare tire

Do I need an adapter kit to install a 35 inch tire as a spare? Any recommendations?!?
Old 01-06-2011, 01:49 PM
JK Newbie

You really ought to get the AEV spare tire carrier or equivalent for anything 35" or above. Otherwise you may damage your factory tailgate.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought a smitty built complete tire rack assy that bolts to the tailgate and also used MBRP reinforcment brackets.

under $125 total

you can feel the extra weight on it when opening and closing, i hear a clunk when i hit large bumps but have not determined for sure if it is the gate due to the extra load on it.

i was hoping not to spend $800 on a bumper and rack combo
Old 01-06-2011, 01:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Yeah it took long enough to get my Shrockworks stuff I hate to see how long it would be for rear bumper assembly!! I love their products though!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

Im running a 34.5 on my tailgate, but I have the MBRP tailgate reinforcement kit ( http://www.quadratec.com/products/22202_1001.htm ) and a Smitty Oversized Tire Carrier ( http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/189.htm ).

Been running this set up for about 6 months now. Wheeled pretty hard on it (I live in BC so not too much rock crawling, mainly rough fire roads, mud holes, hill climbs and loose rocks, but still its been through a good beating. My Tailgate has bent THE SLIGHTEST bit, as in the top left is not flush with the body and same for the bottom left. There is also a strange little rattle in the door. I am getting a full spare carrier sooner or later, this is just my semi-temporary fix, which so far is working great!

Goodluck!
Old 01-06-2011, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks hornets ideas. Yeah I just want to throw my spare 35 on there and get something ordered by springtime. My jeep sits parked in the winter

Quick Reply: Spare tire