Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spare on tailgate - lets settle this once and for all

Old 07-18-2008, 03:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a 35" tire on the stock tire carrier for over a year now with no problems. Having a 4dr I am now placing my spare in the back of the Jeep when I go offroad. I do not want a tire swing in the back because of the extra weight. I am not sure what I will do when I move up to 37".
Old 07-18-2008, 03:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

BesTop, which holds my 37x13.5", and Mopar rear bumper. No issues whatsoever so far, had it for approx. 3 months now... (the third brakelight is taken care of from BesTop, there's an extension included.)
Old 07-18-2008, 10:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What?

The Bestop website now says the following:

"Accommodates a tire up to 35" (37" for 2007 vehicles) and 200 lbs."

I think this is different than what it said recently. It used to say up to 37" and 200 lbs with no distinction of vehicle year. Are the 2008 tailgates really any different than the 2007s? I have a 2008 and 37s
Old 07-19-2008, 12:55 PM
JK Freak

I had a 35" MTZ on a AEV Pintler rim on mine for about 7 months. Used a rough country spacer. It worked OK, but developed some serious rattles, and the tailgate settled enough that it rubbed the bottom seal when closing. This then would squeak on every little bump. Drove me nuts, so I got a Rockhard bumper/ tire carrier.

It will get you by, but the flimsy tailgate doesn't like it. The plastic junk bumper cover should be replaced anyway, so you might as well get the tire carrier.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by snippy
But that has nothing to do with mounting a non-stock tire on the stock tailgate right? I mean, even if you have your stock 32" on there, and you wheel it into the ground, chances are there will be damage.
true but the stock 32 isn't a 12.50 width so with a stock tire I might not have hit....normally the aftermarket bumpers w/ tire carriers set them higher, as to avoid this
Old 07-19-2008, 05:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the overall concensus is that if you are going to run a 35 on your spare make sure the space allow the tire to sit in the bumper cutout. This provides extra support for the tailgate and helps keep the tire stable on the gate.

I just did mine so I dont have any wheeling experience yet but I can tell you the spare will be fine on the street. The manual says 50 lbs on the tailgate for bike racks etc.

My rubicon wheel and tire weighed in at 74 lbs on my household scale (it was very accurate until my wife ran it over with my Jeep ) my new wheel and tire weights 97 lbs which has a difference of 23 lbs leaving me with 27lbs of stuff I can add according to Jeep. But for this to work the tire needs to be snug on the bumpstops and with my spidertrax spacer it is not. Daystar I think sells spacers that can be cut down to fit snug between the tire and wheel.

In addition to the pics I posted earlier in this thread here are some close ups. My wheels are 17x8.5 with 5.75 BS, they would not fit on the carrier so I used one of my wheel spacers at 1.5 inches so that gives me a total of 4.25 inches of backspacing on the carrier and it looks like this.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:02 AM
JK Newbie

That's exactly how my Pro Comp Xtreme M/T 35x12.5's sit JulietKilo, they're resting on the bumper nicely, but out about 1/2" from the bump stops. I tried using some 2" tubing to extend the bump stops, like the radiator hose mod, the problem is they don't connect with enough rubber on the tire from the bump's stock position.

I have a tire carrier on backorder, I just needed to get it out of the back to actually have some cargo space again.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FunWagon
The Bestop website now says the following:

"Accommodates a tire up to 35" (37" for 2007 vehicles) and 200 lbs."

I think this is different than what it said recently. It used to say up to 37" and 200 lbs with no distinction of vehicle year. Are the 2008 tailgates really any different than the 2007s? I have a 2008 and 37s
I would like to hear more from people running the HIGHROCK 4X4™ OVERSIZE TIRE CARRIER .

To answer your question... the 2009's did change a bit but everything before that is exactly the same. 07 and 08 should be exact.

Quick Reply: Spare on tailgate - lets settle this once and for all