Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

spacers and vibtation

Old 09-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redunlimitedguy
i would drive it without spacers but the rear tires would come into contact with the control arms i believe. have not tried this but will give it a shot. it seems to be really close when i slide my hand behind the tire. it was close with the stock tires on.
try rotating your tires, see if it changes anything.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by chris@offroadevolution

try rotating your tires, see if it changes anything.
This and re-balance the tires
Old 09-19-2012, 01:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have rotated tires and had them rebalnced about 5 times know. Even went to another shop and paid them to balance them. Could a steering stabilizer be in my near future? The steering wheel wiggles back and forth like crazy at around 5o mph and wiggles less the faster I go.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your ball joints. Also make sure all your tie rod ends and drag link are tight. A steering stabilizer only masks the problem. You may also want to remove the bolts from your front trackbar and check if your bushings have wallowed out. Then replace with 2 grade 8...3 inch shoulder bolts...size 9/16ths x 28 ( fine thread) and stover lock nuts. Torque to 150 ft lbs while the jeep is on the ground.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c17loadmaster
Check your ball joints. Also make sure all your tie rod ends and drag link are tight. A steering stabilizer only masks the problem. You may also want to remove the bolts from your front trackbar and check if your bushings have wallowed out. Then replace with 2 grade 8...3 inch shoulder bolts...size 9/16ths x 28 ( fine thread) and stover lock nuts. Torque to 150 ft lbs while the jeep is on the ground.
Correction 9/16 x 18

Damn ipad is a pain to type on sometimes
Old 09-19-2012, 04:02 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the spidertrax spacers and three sets of tires. 32s and 35s Can exchange and/or rotate them anytime. No vibration issues whatsoever.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Phones do not type very well. I have a keyboard with mine and I still mess up. Will check everything for tightness and swap those bolts this weekend.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just to update everyone. I swapped my moms tires onto my jeep with spacers and went down the road a few miles. No vibration. Having them replaced by comoany. Hopefully next set will do better. Did check track bar for track bar for tightness and it was good. Still gonna replace bolts in it. I did notice that my trackbar has some give to it when turning the wheel. Not sure if this could be the problem or not. Thanks everyone
Old 10-03-2012, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Got tires replaced under warranty. It cured 99% of my shimmy and shaking.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by redunlimitedguy
I have rotated tires and had them rebalnced about 5 times know. Even went to another shop and paid them to balance them. Could a steering stabilizer be in my near future? The steering wheel wiggles back and forth like crazy at around 5o mph and wiggles less the faster I go.
A steering stabilizer may help mask a problem but the problem is still there. Whatever is causing it is happening at all speeds, but resonances in the suspension and chassis will make it more noticeable at one speed.

First thing, rotate the tires front to rear. If nothing changes then its not the wheels and tires (or there is more than one wheel/tire with a problem). If there is a big change, look for a bent wheel or a bogus tire.

Remember that a balanced tire is not necessary round, and the plies in the tire are not necessarily running in a true line with the direction of travel. I've had a bunch of tires that were still bogus when balanced.

If wheels and tires can be eliminated by swapping them around, then there could be a bent axle or spindle.

I've also had the steering wheel work back and forth when a brake caliber drags and heats up the brake disk, but that problem comes and goes - its not always there.

Quick Reply: spacers and vibtation