Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spacers safe or not...post best argument here!

Old 10-12-2010, 05:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 50,000kms on them and have wheeled with it multiple times!!!!

No problems!!
Old 10-12-2010, 05:58 AM
JK Freak

Consider this solution...
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...top-adjustment

No cost, no rub, no pissed off spouse.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:10 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sdgmcdon
I know, but problem is she would notice the new rims and my ass would be grass...unless they look like stock, I'm a dead man unless I go spidertrax...if you know of any with the right backspacing that look even remotely similar to stock I'd love to know about them.
To answer your question on the wheels, yes, there is a nearly identical wheel made with the correct backspacing: Mamba Offroad Type MR-1 Silver Wheel for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK

I have been running spidertrax for 40k+ miles with no issues whatsoever.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cppower
Consider this solution...
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...top-adjustment

No cost, no rub, no pissed off spouse.
Exactly. I was wondering why no one had brought this up, yet. Just adjust your steering stops as the write up instructs (takes probably 3 minutes) and you're good to go with no rubbing. And, it's basically free...all you're paying for is two small washers that can't be more than a few cents each.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Been running spidertrax and wheeled them a bit since mid summer with no issues whatsoever. Checked torque a couple weeks after installing and they were still as solid as the day they went on.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know, but problem is she would notice the new rims and my ass would be grass...unless they look like stock, I'm a dead man unless I go spidertrax...if you know of any with the right backspacing that look even remotely similar to stock I'd love to know about them.
Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
To answer your question on the wheels, yes, there is a nearly identical wheel made with the correct backspacing: Mamba Offroad Type MR-1 Silver Wheel for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK

I have been running spidertrax for 40k+ miles with no issues whatsoever.
I was just about to post those wheels, but it looks like you beat me to it.

On a side note, I think you should have maybe asked who's run spacers and had/haven't had problems with them to maybe filter out all of the "I haven't run them because my brother's, friend's, cousin heard from his uncle that his girlfriends son was told by his friend's great great grandpa's half brother that they will fly off and kill everyone in a 50 mile radius" people. Having said that, I have run Spidertrax spacers, but for only about 1000 miles. I only took them off because I got a screaming deal on a set of wheels/tires off Craigslist so I pulled the spacers and stock wheels/tires while I decide if I'm going to have the new tires swapped over to my stock wheels or sell the spacers and stock wheels/tires. If you go with a quality set of spacers like the Spidertrax and install them properly and check the torque periodically, you should have no problems at all.

However, I would shy away from some of the cheap spacers that can be found on fleabay and the likes. Some of their claims to the grade of materials used may be suspect.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just about the same opinion here as well though I have heard and read elsewhere that using loctite is pointless due to having to re-torque...seems reasonable that you wouldn't want to essentially glue your lugs if you have to check them regularly to ensure they are tight which is only doable by re-tonguing them to check.
Here is what you do....install them according the original mounting instructions - WITH the red loctite and torqued to proper specs - I think 90lb/ft for the SpiderTrx.

Then, for re-checking, you set your torque wrench for about 5 lbs less than the original setting - in this case around 85lb/ft. If the torque wrench "clicks" or releases at 85, you can be pretty sure they are still at 90...and no risk of disturbing the loc-tite....though with red, that would not be likely anyways.

G
Old 10-12-2010, 06:56 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have ran my spacers with stock wheels and stock 32's, and my 35's now. got about 10k miles with them on. wheeled a few times. not 1 issue. spidertrax all the way!! it also makes it look better by pushing the wheels out. i have checked my torque 2 or 3 times and there solid!! i had to remove the front ones to replace bj's a month or so back... came off no prob. cleaned the threads, re applied new loctite {red} and torqued to 100ft lbs. i do 100. i also do the lugs for wheel at 100 ft lbs. spidertrax calls for 95. 5lbs is nothing for a wheel stud and its easier to set 100 on most wrenches, than it is to find the exact spot for 95.

i say explain to her that..
1. they ARE safe as long as installed correctly and maintained correctly.
2. there cheaper than wheels, and allow u to keep alu.stock wheels which are alot lighter than steels.
3. your jk will look alot better with wheels pushed out.
5. MADE IN USA!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's what I am thinking too...she is perfectly fine with me doing a crap load of mods on this jeep, lifts, winch, motor mods, snorkel, tires, rims etc (shes even ready to do the cold air intake on it herself now after she's seen the mpg gauge on it) but not in the first year (again, enough money spent on it in the first place)...a year from now I have the go ahead to mod it (a little at a time, not poof 10 grand) so I could resolve this then, but then till then I'm RUBBING A LOT!
Man it sounds like your woman and my woman think alike, mine said she rather I wait a year before lift tires and wheels gears bumpers armor, but we are starting to talk about getting everything done in february. Sucks waiting, and I dont understand what the wait is for, but I am all for getting everything done at once.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:44 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The spidertrax are prolly the strongest thing you can put on your hub, definately stronger than the steel cragers and stronger than you axle flanges. I'm the "got F'n T-boned guy. A guy hit me broadside at appx. 50mph. The steel crager was twisted and warped. The sidertrax was dinged a little on the edge, the lugnuts were stripped partially off(ones on the wheel, not the spidertrax that hold it to the flange) Bent the axle flanges of both rear axle shafts. In a nutsheel, they're stronger than most rims, lugnuts, and axle flanges on a stock axle, I can attest to that. Oh, btw, when it stripped the lugnuts the studs on the spidertrax that hold the wheel on were not damaged just the stock lugnuts.
They get a big from me.

Quick Reply: Spacers safe or not...post best argument here!