Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Spacers safe or not...post best argument here!

Old 10-11-2010, 10:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by sdgmcdon
I've heard that too and pretty sure I already read that thread...problem is I keep hearing others saying they think they are flat out dangerous (no examples mind you, hence my question and desire to keep this thread going) and those saying zero issues seem to regularly cite "regular checks and maintenance" and while from the advice of those posters I would check them regularly, if they "require" regular checks to be "safe" then as a DD they are not safe in my opinion...if I need to take "special care" or face possible death or killing a pedestrian etc for a mod on my jeep, then that's not a "safe" mod in my opinion.
Umm, dude, it's 'regular' maintenance. Ya know, you change the engine oil every xxx miles, right? You rotate the tires every xxx miles, right? And you check the torque on the spacers every xxx miles. Don't make it into something it isn't...
Old 10-11-2010, 10:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My comment is not a comment for or against spaces but merely a point to consider. I also bought my tires (35s) at Americas Tire mainly because they price matched and are nationwide. My jeep is in CA now but I live in TX.
Anyway, they have a national policy that they will not service your tires if they see spacers on the vehicle. I originally had purchased spacers and was going just to get tires and keep my stock rims. After hearing this I ordered rims it wasn't worth the headache everytime to get the tires rotated or serviced to take the spacers off to bring the jeep in. Something to consider. BTW I have some 1.25 spaces for cheap

Huck271 on my new EVO

2010 Rubicon Unlimited
Old 10-12-2010, 12:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Huck271
Anyway, they have a national policy that they will not service your tires if they see spacers on the vehicle. I originally had purchased spacers and was going just to get tires and keep my stock rims. After hearing this I ordered rims it wasn't worth the headache everytime to get the tires rotated or serviced to take the spacers off to bring the jeep in. Something to consider.
I made this same point on his 'other' thread when he wrote:
I don't have the means (garage, driveway, tools etc) to take the wheels on and off to check these though, but I do plan on having tires rotated every 3-5,000 miles...is this enough of a check (and considering it would be a tire shop doing it, that ok too?)???
Just an opinion, but he'd be much better off explaining the situation to his wife and getting new rims than going behind her back and getting spacers that he won't maintain and the tire shops won't touch...
Old 10-12-2010, 01:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have to keep an eye on those spacers. I was told you need to check them every time you change the oil. Get new rims. It is safer and looks better for not much more. It will also give you the better feeling when driving. I dont want to use them myself. I would rather have rims and not have to think about it.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From all I've read if you ask 500 people 250 say yes & rest say no, Talk to the wife & let HER decide!
Or sell your M/T's & get new wheels w/ $.

Last edited by kittisman; 10-12-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:45 AM
JK Newbie

I run spacers on my Sequoia to fit 33s. They work great, good look, but as someone else stated you need to check the torque every tire rotation. I have not had any problems. Post a picture of your JK with the new tires...

Last edited by Hitthegspot; 10-12-2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:38 AM
JK Freak

been running spacers for 53000 miles no problems, mild off roading... you just have to torque them properly.

Last edited by bahadden; 10-12-2010 at 03:46 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:42 AM
JK Junkie

This being a safety issue I would openly discuss the two paths with your wife. Flying spacers under the radar isn't the appropriate way to deal with it and your wife should have the options at her disposal before you make a decision. The sale of your existing wheels will cover the cost of steelies with appropriate back spacing and you avoid the question of how safe wheel spacers are in it's entirety.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

In my opinion, they are safe. I have had them on for about 4000 miles and taken them wheeling a couple times, as well as several road trips of about 650 miles and haven't had a problem. Spidertrax spacers saved my ass quite a bit of money that i would have spent on rims.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by grim_creation
In my opinion, they are safe. I have had them on for about 4000 miles and taken them wheeling a couple times, as well as several road trips of about 650 miles and haven't had a problem. Spidertrax spacers saved my ass quite a bit of money that i would have spent on rims.
X2.......................

Quick Reply: Spacers safe or not...post best argument here!