Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

sorry, stupid front bumper question

Old 03-03-2009, 09:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sorry, stupid front bumper question

sorry about the stupid question but,
i got a dent in the stock front bumper, so i was going to make it a stubby till i get a new bumper. i looked at all the threads and pictures. everyone says to remove the eight bolts from the frame (where the tow hooks are). from the tow hook area on the inside of the bumper, there is about eight inches on metal with two bolts. i removed the four bolts from the end and the bumper is very loose. the eight bolts on the frame are still on and the bumper feels like it can come off. my questions are: after i cut the extra metal on the ends off, what will brace the bumper? i can move the bumper about 1.5 inches in all directions. can i remove the bumper without taking off the eight bolts from the frame?
thanks, doug
Old 03-03-2009, 09:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

No you need to remove the 8 bolts to take the bumper off.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:18 PM
JK Freak

do i have to brace the bumper after i cut the extra eight inches of metal off ? right now, with the eight bolts still on and tight, the bumper moves around a lot with the end two bolts off. is there something wrong or broken with my bumper? sorry no pictures.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

to make it a studdy? just cut it off.

Honestly it wont do anything in a crash anyhow.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:36 PM
JK Freak

do you think something is broken on the bumper, because with the 8 bolts still tight and on the frame, the bumper still moves a lots?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:38 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lvdoug
do i have to brace the bumper after i cut the extra eight inches of metal off ? right now, with the eight bolts still on and tight, the bumper moves around a lot with the end two bolts off. is there something wrong or broken with my bumper? sorry no pictures.
Not sure if this is what you are asking or not, but after we cut the bumper, we drilled a hole on each side and secured it with a nut and bolt.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:46 PM
JK Freak

that's what i'm looking for! i didn't see that picture on any thread. thanks! i will start cutting NOW!

Quick Reply: sorry, stupid front bumper question