Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Sorry...but yet another lift and armor question(s)...

Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry...but yet another lift and armor question(s)...

Ok, so after my first trip to Rausch Creek, I have come to the conclusion that I need a lift and some armor underneath. I will eventually upgrade rims and tires but I figure that can wait till the stockers wear out. I have been reading alot of threads on this forum and several others but just wanted to get some personalized input.

I have a 2013 Rubicon Unlimited. I will be doing at the most moderate offroading(at least for now because it is also my DD). I know there are a few good lift kits out there and was looking at the RK, Teraflex, and AEV 2.5 lifts. I like how the AEV is designed just for JK but do not like how you can not upgrade incase I want to get more hardcore in the future, also some have said that it is not a good lift for offroading all together so IDK?

I'm hoping to spend around a grand on a lift and the RK is a bit over that but i could spend a little more if that is what everyone recommends. There is a Teraflex kit with Bilstein shocks being offered by ORW for 750.00, is this a good kit to use and is it complete?? if not what else would I need to get? Do any of these interefere with the sway bar disconnects? etc...

Also, I was looking to get the EVO Protek skid system. Will any of these lifts interefere with this?

Sorry for all the questions but I am new to modding(not jeeps). I am not mechanically inclined but really want to learn and am looking for something that won't be too difficult. Hopefully I can find someone around here to help me install everything, if not there is always a shop

So any input would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance. I love this community!!
Old 11-14-2012, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

dont think the evo skid system would interfer with anything (I have it on my 12 auto jku) but if your running stock tires 2.5 lift is going to be big. I think a budget boost would be best for now since its A. easy to install B. cheap and C. easy to upgrade/sell when you decide to go with bigger tires.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:28 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the TeraFlex 2.5" Coil lift. I like it but the steering was flighty. I added RockKrawler adjustable lower control arms and adjustable track bar and all is well. I would recommend both if you are lifting.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by lulu2533
Ok, so after my first trip to Rausch Creek, I have come to the conclusion that I need a lift and some armor underneath. I will eventually upgrade rims and tires but I figure that can wait till the stockers wear out. I have been reading alot of threads on this forum and several others but just wanted to get some personalized input.

I have a 2013 Rubicon Unlimited. I will be doing at the most moderate offroading(at least for now because it is also my DD). I know there are a few good lift kits out there and was looking at the RK, Teraflex, and AEV 2.5 lifts. I like how the AEV is designed just for JK but do not like how you can not upgrade incase I want to get more hardcore in the future, also some have said that it is not a good lift for offroading all together so IDK?

I'm hoping to spend around a grand on a lift and the RK is a bit over that but i could spend a little more if that is what everyone recommends. There is a Teraflex kit with Bilstein shocks being offered by ORW for 750.00, is this a good kit to use and is it complete?? if not what else would I need to get? Do any of these interefere with the sway bar disconnects? etc...

Also, I was looking to get the EVO Protek skid system. Will any of these lifts interefere with this?

Sorry for all the questions but I am new to modding(not jeeps). I am not mechanically inclined but really want to learn and am looking for something that won't be too difficult. Hopefully I can find someone around here to help me install everything, if not there is always a shop

So any input would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance. I love this community!!
it will work fine..
FYI exhaust skid will NOT work with exhaust spacers (2012).
Old 11-14-2012, 01:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by swaite3
dont think the evo skid system would interfer with anything (I have it on my 12 auto jku) but if your running stock tires 2.5 lift is going to be big. I think a budget boost would be best for now since its A. easy to install B. cheap and C. easy to upgrade/sell when you decide to go with bigger tires.
I really don't want to do it twice and I want more clearance offroad. Think I'm gonna stay away from a BB. It won't be on too long without bigger tires. Thanks for the response.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
I have the TeraFlex 2.5" Coil lift. I like it but the steering was flighty. I added RockKrawler adjustable lower control arms and adjustable track bar and all is well. I would recommend both if you are lifting.
Does Teraflex make a kit that comes with these components already? Or is it better to just get the RK ones? I'll have to look into it, thanks.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:01 PM
JK Junkie

Does Teraflex make a kit that comes with these components already? Or is it better to just get the RK ones? I'll have to look into it, thanks.
You shouldn't need control arms with the teraflex 2.5" kit. You don't need an adjustable track bar either. Your font axle will be off slightly but not enough where you will notice a difference. It's just something that should be addressed eventually. I have a 2.5" teraflex coil kit with 1" coil spacers added to it. Stock arms and a jks adjustable track bar in the front. The control arms might tighten up your steering a little but I haven't felt the need to upgrade yet. I regularly drive on the highway around 70-75mph with two fingers on the wheel. I only got the trackbar because a forum member was selling a used one for cheap. I would drive it on the stock arms and if it doesn't feel right see what your caster is before spending the $300 for arms.

I have the protek skids as well, they are solid and I would definitely recommend them. Only thing to consider is whether you're going to swap your front drive shaft or use exhaust spacers. I wouldn't recommend the spacers for the same reason I didn't use them... It drops the exhaust cross over below the cross member making it the lowest spot on the bottom of your jeep.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by chris@offroadevolution

it will work fine..
FYI exhaust skid will NOT work with exhaust spacers (2012).
Thanks Chris...looks like I will be making a purchase for skids very soon!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JE8154

You shouldn't need control arms with the teraflex 2.5" kit. You don't need an adjustable track bar either. Your font axle will be off slightly but not enough where you will notice a difference. It's just something that should be addressed eventually. I have a 2.5" teraflex coil kit with 1" coil spacers added to it. Stock arms and a jks adjustable track bar in the front. The control arms might tighten up your steering a little but I haven't felt the need to upgrade yet. I regularly drive on the highway around 70-75mph with two fingers on the wheel. I only got the trackbar because a forum member was selling a used one for cheap. I would drive it on the stock arms and if it doesn't feel right see what your caster is before spending the $300 for arms.

I have the protek skids as well, they are solid and I would definitely recommend them. Only thing to consider is whether you're going to swap your front drive shaft or use exhaust spacers. I wouldn't recommend the spacers for the same reason I didn't use them... It drops the exhaust cross over below the cross member making it the lowest spot on the bottom of your jeep.
Wouldn't it be better to just get an adjustable track bar when the lift gets put on then? Seriously, I am a total noob when it comes to this. Trying to figure out all this stuff is making my brain hurt. I need a jeep Yoda to teach me.

Thanks again!!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:37 PM
JK Junkie

Wouldn't it be better to just get an adjustable track bar when the lift gets put on then? Seriously, I am a total noob when it comes to this. Trying to figure out all this stuff is making my brain hurt. I need a jeep Yoda to teach me.

Thanks again!!
The track bar isn't a big deal and can be changed out by any one that can turn a wrench with the jeep on the ground. If you want to do it at the same time go for it, but if you're looking to save money I wouldn't bother. I changed mine about 6 months after the lift and didn't need to. It's just something I wanted to change. There was only about a half inch difference when measuring both sides.

Quick Reply: Sorry...but yet another lift and armor question(s)...