Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Something's got to give. Which will it be?

Old 11-14-2013, 05:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Ok I'm about to purchase 37" MTR's w Kevlar for my 09 X JKU .... Upfront I have the PR 44 with dynatrac ball joints, Reid knuckles, RCV's and 5.13 gears...... After I add my 37's what's the weak point up front? Or can I wheel it pretty hard? THEN for the rear also 5.13 gears(of course) and I was thinking Yukon chromoly axle shafts in the rear when my ARB air locker goes in. Are you guys saying I shouldn't add the chromoly shafts while the air locker is going in? Are my gears the weak spot if I add the chromoly shafts back there??? What do spare U joints cost? Thanks
I'm no expert in the large axle department, I'm just letting people know that while it's ok to have your shafts be the sacrificial item, it's important to carry a spare part for it. It doesn't seem like your axle shafts will be a problem. Chromo in the rear is fine and I've seen it go both ways- spines shear off (tenfactory axles IIRC with 42's) but also broken gears.

Avoid shock to your axles and you shouldn't run into either problem in the rear.

U-joints vary in price based on what brand you put in there. Brute force joints are $20 if I remember right with the Spicer 5-760x's being closer to $40.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4
Old 11-14-2013, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Ok I'm about to purchase 37" MTR's w Kevlar for my 09 X JKU .... Upfront I have the PR 44 with dynatrac ball joints, Reid knuckles, RCV's and 5.13 gears...... After I add my 37's what's the weak point up front? Or can I wheel it pretty hard? THEN for the rear also 5.13 gears(of course) and I was thinking Yukon chromoly axle shafts in the rear when my ARB air locker goes in. Are you guys saying I shouldn't add the chromoly shafts while the air locker is going in? Are my gears the weak spot if I add the chromoly shafts back there??? What do spare U joints cost? Thanks
I am curious about this myself. I just read a writeup over at project JK today about the differences between D30/D44/D60 axles. It made me wonder why the D30 was ever produced in the first place! Anyway, when people talk about gears being the "weak link" after beefing up axle shafts, is that referring only to the puny D30 ring & pinion? Or does that also apply to the larger, beefier, and I'm assuming stronger D44 & D60 size ring & pinion as well?

After seeing that writeup I decided 100% not to bother beefing up that puny D30 and to spring for the Dynatrac PR44, Currie Rock Jock 60, or something similar. Does anyone know of any good alternatives that are cheaper?
Old 11-14-2013, 06:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the quick responses brothers
Appreciated!!!

Quick Reply: Something's got to give. Which will it be?