Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Someone please educate me. (backspacing and lift question)

Old 08-17-2008, 05:04 PM
db1
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone please educate me. (backspacing and lift question)

I am picking up my new Unlimited X tomorrow, and plan on going to a bigger tire right away. I would like to go up to a 285/70/17 BFG AT KO. After poking around on the site I'm not sure if I need to worry about a lift and backspacing. I have seen guys that are running this tire stock without any problems, and then there are others that say the backspacing and lift are necessary. I'm planning on doing a 2" RE BB eventually, but not right away. If I have the tires put on, how hard is it to do the backspacing if necessary? Also, am I looking at any warranty issues with these minor mods?

Any input is much appreciated.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Some of this info may help you: MODIFIED TECH FAQ - Answers to the Questions Every Newbie Has
Old 08-17-2008, 05:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default tire size

db1-Hi! your 285/70/17 is 32.7 in diameter, 11.2 in section width ( not tread width), and 7.8 in section height. Your standard 255/75/17 tire is 32.1 in diameter, 10.0 in section width, and 7.5 in section height. There is very little difference in actual figures......ProCompTires.com has a nice conversion and comparison chart....

Last edited by TINMAN080; 08-17-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:42 PM
db1
JK Enthusiast

So you're saying I really shouldn't have any issues???
Old 08-17-2008, 05:43 PM
db1
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Tinman. That's what I was looking for.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default warranty issues

Originally Posted by db1
So you're saying I really shouldn't have any issues???
Just changing tire size to something reasonably close should not affect any warranty claims. If you decide to run wheel spacers some dealers are not friendly to these. I run 1 1/2'' spacers, mine has never said anything. If you run a BB this could also be an issue at some service departments. I run a 1 3/4'' front boost only, my dealer hasn't said anything about these either, however I haven't had any running gear problems where their installation has come into question.
Both of these items can easily be removed before taking your jeep in for warranty work, so you could avoid complications by doing that.......
Old 08-19-2008, 06:40 AM
db1
JK Enthusiast

Default Got the jeep. Got the rub.

Well I picked up my Jeep last night, and the dealer had the tires put on for me. After driving around for a bit, and backing out of a few parking spaces, I am noticing a little rubbing. I am going to order wheel spacers today. Am I going to notice a difference between Teraflex, Spidertrax or other major manufacturers quality? From what I am seeing on this forum, a lot of people run the Teraflex or Spidertrax, and are happy with them.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Someone please educate me. (backspacing and lift question)