Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Someone HELP!!

Old 10-02-2008, 03:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone HELP!!

OK I have a 2008 JK, I have a Smittybuilt XRC8 winch and a Fabtech front bumper to install. I will be home from Iraq on R&R leave soon so I can install and play. I want to mount my winch but I do not know what Winch Plate to get I do not want to spend lots of money and I know I may have to drill into the frame rails behind where the bumper mounts but I need help picking a plate and finding the right bolts at Lowes. Someone HELP!!
Old 10-02-2008, 03:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Use Grade 8 bolts. if they dont have them at lowes check ACE they are expensive . which fabtech bumper do you have ? My bumper had a built in winch plate.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

I'm surprised the winch plate isn't included, as they are pretty much universal patterns, etc.

If not, the easiest solution is to simply order a Warn Winch Plate, as it also comes with the mounting hardware.

The winches typically come with the 4 bolts to bolt it into the plate as well.

Let us know what you actually end up with when you open the boxes, etc....and we can go from there.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got the fabtech bumper from quadratec, it had a plate when i saw it listed then they took it away. What size blots would be good in Grade 8?
Old 10-02-2008, 05:46 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

if your front bumper was made with an option winch plate, i would recommend getting it and it should have all the hardware you need to install it. otherwise, i would recommend the rough country winch plate as it is very affordable and again, it will come with the hardware you need. IF for some reason they do not come with bolts, you'll want to get 1/2" grade 8 bolts but how long will depend on where you will be using them.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

The Fabtech tube bumper does not actually touch the winch plate. I know the Warn and Ramsey plates have mounting hardware that raises it above the frame rails with no need to drill into the frame. The issue is money as I have spent lots on my rig so far my wife has me on a tight lead. So....has anyone mounted a winchplate to the top of the frame rails and how long were the bolts? What brand plate...other than warn and ramsey was used. I am looking for a cost effective plate. Thanks guys.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
if your front bumper was made with an option winch plate, i would recommend getting it and it should have all the hardware you need to install it. otherwise, i would recommend the rough country winch plate as it is very affordable and again, it will come with the hardware you need. IF for some reason they do not come with bolts, you'll want to get 1/2" grade 8 bolts but how long will depend on where you will be using them.
where can i get the rough country plate? Mounting it on the frame rails in front of the grille behind the bumper mount...using the holes in the bumber (normally for the plastic screws holding the plastic filler plate) as the point for the rear mounting holes for the actual winch plate.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:40 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.roughcountry.com/winch_mounts.html

if you were to try and use a generic plate, you would have to find one that has mounting holes positioned over your frame rails. also, you would have to drill the top of your frame rails to make it work and you would have to figure out a way to secure the bolts in place. not an easy task and not something i would recommend.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlueAlgernon
where can i get the rough country plate? Mounting it on the frame rails in front of the grille behind the bumper mount...using the holes in the bumber (normally for the plastic screws holding the plastic filler plate) as the point for the rear mounting holes for the actual winch plate.
I used the Smittybilt universal winch plate from 4wd.com when I mounted my XRC8. It attached directly to the frame rails like you're describing and didn't tie off to the bumper at all. I did have to drill a couple more holes into the frame to get four good mounting points, but it was easy to do even with a cordless drill. If your bumper is completely independent of your winch (nothing but a fairlead hole) then this may work for you. They have a selection of other winch plates too, I'm sure one of them would work. Go to 4wd.com and select the following and you'll see a bunch of choices.

Winches -> Jeep Winch Mounting Kits -> Bumper/Winch Mount Kit

One more thing, thank you for your service!

Last edited by Geko45; 10-02-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

you could also look at Harbor Freight for your winch plate, I think mine was $35.

Quick Reply: Someone HELP!!