Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Some Notes on My AEV 3.5 SC Lift Install

Old 11-03-2013, 04:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Some Notes on My AEV 3.5 SC Lift Install

Hey All,

Well, I thought I jot down some notes regarding my 3.5" SC install. In no particular order:

1) Make sure your Jeep is 100% stock first. Also, it would be nice if the suspension mounts are not too beat up.

My Jeep was far from stock. In the rear, I had JKS adjustable spring perches. These are not compatible with the AEV lift. I ended up cutting them apart and welding them on. I also had another 4" lift on there that used a hole drilled into the rear trackbar bracket, though it was in the wrong place.

In the front, I have EVO "C" reinforcements. These are in the way for the swaybar link brackets and the trackbar bracket. I ended up modifying the AEV brackets and welding them on in places (to the EVO braces). Also in the front, I had used cam bolts (dumbest idea ever). I acquired the AEV cam bolt "repair" kit (thanks Greg!) and welded these thick washers on to solve that issue.

The kit I had on before was of a very poor design, and ended up causing damage to the Jeep - damaged brake lines, torn off trackbar mount at the frame (front), crushed suspension mounts, etc. All are repaired now.

2) The AEV directions are not all that detailed. You need to take your time and think things through first. In many instances, there is hardware in the bag not referenced to in the directions - you need to "feel" you way though the steps. I will say that the text and pictures were very clear; you'd be surprised (or not) how many instruction sheets are horrid Xeroxed sheets.

3) It took me way longer to install than most - give yourself 2x the time suggested in case you run into any glitches.

4) Having the bolt torque chart was super nice and handy - many directions are vague on torque specs.

5) Phone support from AEV was top notch - very professional and they took the time to answer all my questions.

I am very pleased with the results - the Jeep has not driven and handled this well since new - the old kit was down right dangerous. Off road, in my quick test, was very comfortable and controlled. I could go way faster than recommended.

Well, that is it for now.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed my choice down to this kit when it's time to lift my '14 JKU Sport--hopefully soon! Helpful hints are always appreciated!
Old 11-03-2013, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

I think you'd be very happy with it.

It gets a lot of flak as "just a bunch of brackets", but there is much more to it than that. Someone actually sat down and thought about it first.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

Exactly what's pushed it to the top of the list for me. Glad to know that's borne out in real life.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm torn between this lift and the MOPAR Stage III.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:01 AM
JK Newbie

I had the dealer install a 3.5" AEV lift on my new '13 and couldn't be happier with it; handles great!
Old 11-04-2013, 12:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Armergedon007
I'm torn between this lift and the MOPAR Stage III.
I was too. I had it down to three lifts: the AEV 3.5 SC, the MOPAR Stage III and Rock Krawler 3.5 Max Travel. The MOPAR is very nice, and well priced. I do not need the reservoir shocks, and it is a rather challenging install. I also was looking for superior on road handling and great offroad ability. The MOPAR is great off road, but it is not as well known for its onroad manners. The Rock Krawler is known for both on and offroad manners, but it is expensive and complex too.

One thing I wanted to was simplify maintence, I spent hours a month just keeping my other lift working. AEV was simplest, least expensive and easiest to install and maintain.

Last edited by SiliconTi; 11-04-2013 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Some Notes on My AEV 3.5 SC Lift Install