Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Are some lift heights higher than others

Old 03-10-2014, 07:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Good luck with your build but I really think you should learn more about your suspension and steering system as well as the affect on your jeep of larger tires and gearing before you jump into a 4"+ lift.

Doing it right and complete will easily run you $5k+ if installing it yourself. Doing it cheap and piecemeal will likely cost you more in the end, as you will typically buy things twice. The aggravation factor should be included as well.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Good luck with your build but I really think you should learn more about your suspension and steering system as well as the affect on your jeep of larger tires and gearing before you jump into a 4"+ lift. Doing it right and complete will easily run you $5k+ if installing it yourself. Doing it cheap and piecemeal will likely cost you more in the end, as you will typically buy things twice. The aggravation factor should be included as well.
this is all true, like I said I don't want 4"+ just a sag free even 4" and I've already priced my gears more likely to be 4.88s. The kits I priced already have track bars, steering stabilizers, drop pitman arms etc. so that is taking care of, not meaning to argue but like I said in the beginning simply swapping out springs. I've been doing my research on this exact build for over a year now that's why I ask these questions, to get real answers from real people that have been already
Old 03-10-2014, 09:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Research for a year and you are going to put a drop pitman arm on your rig? I hope you are not planning cam bolts as well. Steering stabilizers should not be needed on a kit as the factory one is more then sufficient. Companies that are offering upgraded and dual steering stabilizers are doing it to mask the poor steering geometry of thier kits. I was not even including a gear swap in my $ estimate and not sure what size tires you are planning on running. Lift has nothing to do with gears.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Research for a year and you are going to put a drop pitman arm on your rig? I hope you are not planning cam bolts as well. Steering stabilizers should not be needed on a kit as the factory one is more then sufficient. Companies that are offering upgraded and dual steering stabilizers are doing it to mask the poor steering geometry of thier kits. I was not even including a gear swap in my $ estimate and not sure what size tires you are planning on running. Lift has nothing to do with gears.
wow dude I don't know what's up your butt! Listen man I'm not taking this thing to Moab it's not a competition crawler and I'm not putting the top of the line best of the best lift on it for no more than what I do with it, it my eyes i think it's stupid to put that kinda money into a jeep to 4wheel every now and then, it's more just to say " look what I wasted my money on that will never be used the way it was intended" and no cam bolts 8 control arms. And I've been in jeeps without upgraded stabilizers and 35s with decent lifts and ones that have them IMO the upgraded handle better. I mentioned gears because you stated " my build" which consists of more than just a lift it's the entire jeep! In the end your jeep is your own the way you want it and everyone seems to have the " right way " to build YOUR jeep, sorry kind of a rant but some things are just funny
Old 03-10-2014, 10:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I would be more concerned about steering and steering geometry on road at speed then off road but it is your jeep and your life. Things like bump steer, body roll, oversteer and front end dive when braking.
I am just trying to give you solid advice, if you want to build a mess of a jeep, fine by me.
Good luck with the build.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would be more concerned about steering and steering geometry on road at speed then off road but it is your jeep and your life. Things like bump steer, body roll, oversteer and front end dive when braking. I am just trying to give you solid advice, if you want to build a mess of a jeep, fine by me. Good luck with the build.
youre right I'm not trying to mess it up that's the last thing I wanna do maybe I jumped the gun instead of asking your opinion, so what front end adjustments do you think need to be made and not compromised
Old 03-10-2014, 10:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people prefer to do a draglink flip over a drop pitman arm. The flip corrects most of the geometry issues caused by lifting your jeep 3+ inches.

Last edited by mpkelley20; 03-10-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
Most people prefer to do a draglink flip over a drop pitman arm. The flip corrects most of the geometry issues caused by lifting your jeep 3+ inches.
huh nice never heard of that thanks man I will defiantly look into that
Old 03-10-2014, 11:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blackrubi13
huh nice never heard of that thanks man I will defiantly look into that
No problem. There are a ton of kits out there to look at. More expensive than a drop pitman arm and most require some welding of relocation brackets but it really the best way of easily fixing the steering geometry. I have a hybrid system that uses reid knuckles, synergy draglink and EVO track bar brakcet. Most do it through a full kit like the Synergy one which is way cheaper than going with Reid knuckles. I had to replace my passenger side knuckle and decided to just spend the extra money to get a set of orange knuckles. LOL

Dirtman knows his stuff so listen to what he has to say. It might sound like he is giving advice on building a crazy rock crawler but most of his advice saves people from wasting money on mods that aren't needed or lead to major failures down the road. When people go with incomplete lifts or don't understand the consequences on steering, driveline or clearance issues, they usually find themselves back on the forum asking a series of follow up questions on why their jeep drives like crap or why they have death wobble. 4" is a lot of lift and that usually translates to a full kit with all 8 arms, possibility for front and rear driveshaft replacements and dealing with the steering geometry. It is expensvie as hell!!
Old 03-10-2014, 11:22 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

There is a link at the bottom of my signature "my thoughts on lifts" I would encourage you to read that thread as it will help you identify your suspension and steering parts and may clear up some things that you don't understand.

As far as the steering, a drag link flip up front with raised track bar brackets both on the front and the rear will vastly improve your ride and steering

Quick Reply: Are some lift heights higher than others