Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Some gearing questions

Old 02-21-2009, 10:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some gearing questions

Ok so I will try to keep this as short as possible to avoid boredom.

I am about to be doing some of the more noticeable upgrades i.e. tires and lift, and as of right now I am going to do 33"x12.5"x17 pro comp A/Tx with a 3" Teraflex lift. Two reasons:

1) I've been told that 35"s require new gearing for crawling a steeper climbs, stuff that I already regularly do.

2) I was told if I re-gear it will significantly decrease my gas mileage hich is also a major problem seeing as it is my everyday driver as well.

Does anyone have any input on how I could go with 35"s and not ruin my gas mileage? Would a gear inbetween my stock 3.73 and the 5.13 work or would it be safest to go with the 5.13? I know a lot of you have a 3' lift and 35"s so any and all input is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,

~Tay
Old 02-22-2009, 03:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
Ok so I will try to keep this as short as possible to avoid boredom.

I am about to be doing some of the more noticeable upgrades i.e. tires and lift, and as of right now I am going to do 33"x12.5"x17 pro comp A/Tx with a 3" Teraflex lift. Two reasons:

1) I've been told that 35"s require new gearing for crawling a steeper climbs, stuff that I already regularly do.

2) I was told if I re-gear it will significantly decrease my gas mileage hich is also a major problem seeing as it is my everyday driver as well.

Does anyone have any input on how I could go with 35"s and not ruin my gas mileage? Would a gear inbetween my stock 3.73 and the 5.13 work or would it be safest to go with the 5.13? I know a lot of you have a 3' lift and 35"s so any and all input is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,

~Tay
I ran my 35's with the stock 3.21's for about two months, and the mileage and power was awful. Mileage was average of about 13.5, power was non-existant. Just regeared to 4.88's (6 spd) - got my power back, and mileage is back up to just under 18 so far. If you are running an auto, 5.13's seem to be the way to go with 35's.

After doing the initial break in of the gears, I've been a little heavy footed, so I figure if I back off of the gas a little more, I will probably see a little over 18. It is my DD also, so more the more mpg, the better.

From what I have seen in the gear charts, 4.56's are the best choice for mileage with a manual and 35's. That being said, I'm glad I listened to others on this forum and went with the 4.88's.

Even if you only go with the 33's you are more than likely going to want to re-gear at some point. A buddy of mine put on a Teraflex 2.5" BB and 33's, and his mileage and power dropped also.

Hope this helps.

JD
Old 02-22-2009, 03:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Depends alot on your current gear ratio.

Also, are you 6spd or auto?

If auto, then you could look at the Rubicrawler. That'd give you your low range for crawling, but not hinder your DD mileage.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Oops, sorry guys, I knew id forget something, I have an automatic transmission.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

35's and 5:13's and get the rubi 241OR transfercase for crawling
Old 02-22-2009, 07:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The charts are stupid and have nothing to do with JK's. They don't take into account for the added weight modded JK's carry, nor do they account for overdrive. If you're going 33's or better with an auto, go with 5.13's (maybe 5.38's with 37's, don't know about those for sure). My mileage with 33's (just going by the dashboard comp) increased by .5 mpg when I upgraded my gears.

As far as crawling goes, the guy with an Atlas 4 speed headache says your 2.73 T/C is great. Wheeling skills will take care of any discrepancies between that and the Rubi 4.01.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Making a little more sense now.

Ok all of this is good to know. So im kinnnnda leaning towards the 35's now with the 5:13 gearing, but here is another question. Right now stock I get about 14 city and 19 highway, how is the overall mileage for you guys with the 35's and 5:13 gearing? Im expecting a slight drop but hopefully nothing toooooo bad. Thanks again guys, I know its a lot of questions but you guys are awesome, the help is greatly apreciated before I drop a few thousand.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
Ok all of this is good to know. So im kinnnnda leaning towards the 35's now with the 5:13 gearing, but here is another question. Right now stock I get about 14 city and 19 highway, how is the overall mileage for you guys with the 35's and 5:13 gearing? Im expecting a slight drop but hopefully nothing toooooo bad. Thanks again guys, I know its a lot of questions but you guys are awesome, the help is greatly apreciated before I drop a few thousand.
Are you using the computer to tell you the mpg? Mine says I'm getting 15.8 and that's on a lot of hills, carrying a lot of weight with little highway driving. It went up from 15.3 with the 4.10's.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by seer1
Are you using the computer to tell you the mpg? Mine says I'm getting 15.8 and that's on a lot of hills, carrying a lot of weight with little highway driving. It went up from 15.3 with the 4.10's.
Yes that is with the computer, I haven't figured it on my own yet, hoping it is accurate I guess? And are you saying gas mileage with the 4:10 gearing will be better than the 5:13? and also is the 4:10 good enough for hill climbs with 35's?
Old 02-22-2009, 02:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Any input on MPG for a 2dr with 35's and a 5:13 setup?

Quick Reply: Some gearing questions