Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

some feedback on tires

Old 07-18-2012, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some feedback on tires

Ok...so I ordered 15x8 mb72 for my jk....so now I'm in the process of getting the tires....I am currently running bfgoodrich all terrains 31's....but will be switching to 33x12.5x15r but cannot decide between Goodyear duratrac or stick with Goodrich AT any feedback about these 2 brands....as far as thread quality, road noise, sidewall strength?...
Old 07-18-2012, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Both the bfg at and the duratrac weigh very similar (at just under 50 lbs I believe) and are both relatively quiet on the road. The duratrac being the louder of the two. The differences come in the tread pattern and sidewall. The duratrac tread pattern is more aggressive than that of the bfg at and cleans better; however the downfall of the duratrac (and what makes it so light) is that it only has a 2-ply sidewall. Both are very popular tires, can't go wrong with either; however it would help to know what terrain you plan to use them in order to truely recommend one or the other.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

All I can offer is that I love my MB 72s and 33x12.5r15 Duratracs.

I just did a 20 hour round trip and they did great.

Haven't done a "serious" trail yet, but plenty of people on here have.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Former Vendor

Having used the Duratracs on my personal Jeep and ridden in a few Jeeps using the BFG ATs, I can tell you the on-road ride is pretty similar. My personal preference is the Duratracs based on their winter traction here in PA, and they have a more aggressive look than the BFGs. I don't do much in the way of rock crawling, but for sand, mud, and snow, I've had no problems at all!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

In reference to the 2 ply side wall on the duratracs buddy has these on his jk and he literally drove into a maybe 1 1/2 foot ditch to park on the 4th of July and blew a six inch hole in his right rear tire. Other than the weak side walls people seem to like them
Old 07-18-2012, 10:43 AM
JK Junkie

I'm going with BFG AT tires as my next one. I was thinking about Duratracs but they are way too expensive and I don't like the look as much. Duratracs are great for snow and ice, but down here in Dallas we never get snow (excluding 2 years ago), and you sure as hell don't being further South than I in El Paso. BFG AT have great on road and trail ridage for me.

I've always liked the BFG AT tires and they've always worked well for me on my few trucks ('88 Dodge 1500, '97 F150, '00 F150). My '78 Jeep had 33" Thornbirds though, hehe. Nothing compares to them.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

Mainly sand and sometimes mud but for sure rocks I live in a desert environment..is the kind of terrain I deal with...love the feedback guys...
Old 07-18-2012, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

I've had both. I like the duratracs better. I think they look better and better in the ny snow!
Old 07-18-2012, 12:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdubs20
I've had both. I like the duratracs better. I think they look better and better in the ny snow!
^this...all around better by experience in both.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:13 AM
JK Freak

Well thanx for the feedback....I hear a lot of great things about the duratracs....but water and snow isn't much of an issue for me...I have had Goodrich AT....so ill probably be leaning in that direction!...thank u to all for the advice and experiences!

Quick Reply: some feedback on tires