Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Some advice for a newbie? (bumper sag, leveling kit)

Old 11-01-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some advice for a newbie? (bumper sag, leveling kit)

Hi all! Long time reader, first time posting

I have purchased a bumper from 4 Wheel Parts and am wondering if I should also purchase some sort of leveling kit to offset the potential sag from the bumper.

The bumper I have purchased: XRC Armor Front Bumper by Smittybilt - Part # S/B76805

I have a 2012 Wrangler Sport with the S package. Is a leveling kit necessary to achieve a good look? Would I just put it on the front or also use the parts for the back? I am looking to spend less than $100 - $150, if possible, what brand and kit would you recommend?

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Katie
Old 11-01-2011, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

I would just go with a leveling kit then. Id say go with the teraflex. Although I dont know what future plans might be for the jeep... Do things once... So if you plan on ever getting another lift of plan on running larger tires just wait and buy the lift youre going to want. I bought a 2.5 inch teraflex coil lift right away thinking all Id ever want to do is run 35's but now its 2-3 months later and I would rather have 37's... Do things right the first time.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the Forum! Yes, a leveling kit will help get rid of the sag and also give your jeep a balanced look. The Teraflex budget boost leveling kit would fit your budget. It is a set of rubber "pucks" that sit on top of your coils.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Jedi

The cheapest way is to order a set of 3/4" front spacers from Quadratec or Rustys off road. That will be the cheapest way. A leveling kit like Teraflex will be a little more $ but give you more space up front if you are getting bigger tires.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

I don't have any plans to ever go above 33"s, and that swap won't happen until the tread runs out on the stock tires, unfortunately.

The kits with the "pucks," can they be installed in one's driveway on a weekend, or should I pay to have them installed? I don't have mounts or anything to be able to lift the entire jeep up at once- I would only have a regular tire jack.

Are these the types of parts I should be looking at?
- Daystar Comfort Ride ¾" Front Lift for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK
- TeraFlex 1" Front Coil Spacer for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK
- Teraflex Leveling Kit (Would I install the rear spacers, too?)

@karls10jk I'm not sure what the spring numbers are, sorry.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Last edited by JK-Sport-Gal; 11-01-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Easy to install yourself in a few hours. (to a few days, depending on amount of beer and how fast you work). Go down to the write-ups area, there is an index at the top that will take you to a lot of good suspension writeups. Doesn't matter which you look at, they all have basically the same steps. Disconnect stuff, pull the coil out, put the spacer on top, reinstall, reconnect.

All of the spacers seem to be very similar, so other than price, probably not any big difference between them. (though for the rear, I like the teraflex spacers with the integrated coil guides). Whether you add only front spacers to level, or taller front spacers along with shorter rear spacers, is a personal preference. My opinion would be to just go ahead and do the leveling kit.

Also, you could toss a post in the Staging Area for your neck of the woods and see if anyone would be interested in an install party. Good way to meet local jk'ers, and odds are that they will have any tools and/or expertise that you lack. Just be sure to offer up the grub n suds.

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-01-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Ive got the puck leveling kit from TF and it has worked well for me. As far as install I had access to a lift so it took maybe a half hour. In a driveway with jackstands I would think maybe 2 or 3 hours.

Im going to be taking the kit out when I put my 3" lift in but Im going to hang on to it just in case I need it to adjust the Jeep level.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

You should really take a look at the spring numbers...it will help determine how much of a spacer you need or if you can just go with upgraded springs. I ordered a bumper and winch for my JKU. I figured hardtop, tow package would have strong springs. Wrong. I ended up having 14's on the front, which are pretty soft. The front dropped 2-3" with the bumper...

To find your spring numbers, look behind the front tire at the coil springs. Turn the wheel if needed and look for a white and green (well at least mine were those colors) tag hanging off the spring on either side, doesn't matter which side. You'll be looking for the last 2 numbers. My Jeep is 5 years old and the numbers and tags were still easily readable. It will help narrow down what size spacer or if you should go with new springs in the front...

Quick Reply: Some advice for a newbie? (bumper sag, leveling kit)