Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

SOLID Front Axle Hub Conversion Kit - Available & Installed!!

Old 01-11-2008, 01:30 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up SOLID Front Axle Hub Conversion Kit - Available & Installed!!

Just as was promised back in November at the 2007 SEMA Show, SOLID Axle Industries has just released their all new SpynTec Conversion Kit and it is now available for sale. The official press release for this awesome new front hub conversion can be seen by clicking on the image above or by clicking on the link below...

SOLID Jeep JK Wrangler Front SpynTec Conversion Kit

After having the opportunity to check it out for myself, I can tell you that this is going to be an upgrade that a lot of guys I know will want.

Last edited by wayoflife; 01-11-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the help of the guys at Solid axle, we installed the hub conversion on my JK today. Here's a couple pictures to hold you over until the write up.

The Conversion changes the bolt pattern to 5x5.5. The rear shafts to match have been ordered from Superior Axle. When my new wheels and shafts get here. I'll swap them on.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife
After having the opportunity to check it out for myself, I can tell you that this is going to be a must have upgrade for just about every JK owner I know.
What makes it a must have upgrade?
Old 01-11-2008, 02:55 PM
JK Junkie

...After having the opportunity to check it out for myself, I can tell you that this is going to be a must have upgrade for just about every JK owner I know.
Yeah, every JK owner who has $1359 to just blow! HOLY CRAP! They're nice, but I could buy a whole new axle assembly for that! Way to take care of your personal sponsors though. I would do the same.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:08 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

EDIT: After having the opportunity to check it out for myself, I can tell you that this is going to be an upgrade that a lot of guys I know will want.

LOL!! In all fairness, this upgrade isn't exactly the most affordable one you could do but the benefits of having manual locking hubs do have its merits and is definitely something that most Jeepers I know would love to have. For one, they are stronger, serviceable, allows you to free up drivelines making it ideal for flat towing and if you break an axle on the trail, all you need to do is unlock the hub on the offending side and keep going with what you got left. None of these benefits are something that a brand new axle can give you.

BTW - SOLID are not sponsors of Project-JK... yet

Last edited by wayoflife; 01-11-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

if you break an axle on the trail, all you need to do is unlock the hub on the offending side and keep going with what you got left.
This would only seem to be useful if you had a locker on the broken axle. If you had a locker what is the problem if it spins the "offending side"? Not trying to be a jackass here - a serious question.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Former Vendor

LOL!! In all fairness, this upgrade isn't exactly the most affordable one you could do but the benefits of having manual locking hubs do have its merits and is definitely something that most Jeepers I know would love to have. For one, they are stronger, serviceable, allows you to free up drivelines making it ideal for flat towing and if you break an axle on the trail, all you need to do is unlock the hub on the offending side and keep going with what you got left. None of these benefits are something that a brand new axle can give you.
Just to clarify. My question was serious. I wasn't trying to be difficult or sarcastic. I really want to understand how this is a must have. I imagine you'd get some benefit in MPG if you unlock the front shafts. But, other than that and yes the potential emergency limp off the trail...
Old 01-11-2008, 03:41 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Renegade
Yeah, every JK owner who has $1359 to just blow! HOLY CRAP! They're nice, but I could buy a whole new axle assembly for that! Way to take care of your personal sponsors though. I would do the same.
thats not really high at all, Warns hub conversion for the TJ is $1,183.99. Solids comes with new Disc's. The JK's ESP is also built into the spindal, thats more maching to the hubs for the JK than other jeeps.

the kit comes with extremely high quality 30 spline outters. Also your Rubicon 44 has stock unit bearings, a non-serviceable item. If that goes out on the trail your stuck literally...

The Solid kit was well thought out. If I break a shaft and destroy the lockout hub,. I can go to any autopart store and get a Chevy 44 outter (20 spline, and the hub) or just get rid of it. Most people on the trail will have a 19 spline stub shaft and 19 spline lockout as spares. Just borrow one of them.
)

Good luck getting a new unit bearing from the local autozone, the factory ESP sensor is built into it. I cant imagine thats going to be cheap to replace.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

WOL, or someone more knowledgeable than me (me=new to 4x4), could you explain a little more about this product? What does it do? Do you hop out and rotate the cap, and the axles are locked, like a locker would do internally?
Old 01-11-2008, 03:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by C_Kyle
WOL, or someone more knowledgeable than me (me=new to 4x4), could you explain a little more about this product? What does it do? Do you hop out and rotate the cap, and the axles are locked, like a locker would do internally?
you'll need turn the lockouts to lock, get in the cabin and shift to 4wd...

Quick Reply: SOLID Front Axle Hub Conversion Kit - Available & Installed!!