Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Solar Panels

Old 07-01-2012, 07:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dognights
UPDATE:

Found and talked to a company called powerfilm. They already make something similar to what I am looking for. I found them after going to some local golf courses here in south florida and climbing all over golf carts to find out the name of the panels I saw on some of the golf carts. Turns out it is this place called powerfilm. They make everything from real small cellphone chargers, to heavy duty military application for deploying solar tents in the desert. I got to talk to one of their engineers. Everyone there seemed very cool so far. Not only can they make something that will stick to the top of the jeep hardtop but they can custom make it so that it follows the ridges on the hardtop as well. They will also let me pick where I want the power dongle to be located. We are going to work on the size and design next week then come up with a typical expected output for the system. Im not sure if it was just positive talk from the engineer but with the area we can work with it looks like the system can produce much more power then I was expecting. I will update after I get some more information from them the middle of next week or so. From just preliminary talks it looks like the custom panel will cost about $1000 bucks or so.

Sounds great! Did they give you an estimate of power output?

As I said before, keep in mind that using the hard top will limit you on the rack usage. That is, no racks since they will block sunlight.

Have you considered using the hood? It's a also a large area and we do not install anything there anyway. Another interesting thing about the hood is that, if you are parked, you can open it and optimize the light incidence angle on the panels.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:27 AM
JK Freak

this is awesome.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:00 PM
JK Freak

I went Goalzero for my immediate charging needs/backup plans. But this idea is pretty sweet!

I may never get a cargo rack, so I'm interested in how this turns out!
Old 07-02-2012, 02:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I liked the hood idea. Especially for all those expedition modded jeeps with racks and rooftop tents. It would be awesome to get an AEV heat reduction hood with solar panels built in.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you all mentioned the hood. I'm seeing if the will custom cut a panel for the hood that will serve as a trickle charger for the main batteries up front.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riptide
Not to take anything away from having the ability to recharge things... but for the 1k, would it not be cheaper just to get a quality fridge, and perhaps an extra batter or a smaller charger? I run a small 24L fridge while on road/camping trips, and while the longest I've left the JK sitting was my 07 which sat for 36 hrs - and had no issues starting it. Not sure what my 12 will be like... but I should find out this summer.
I agree with you. You could absolutely just run a battery for the fridge for a few days. I already have a dual battery setup up front. The big thing is I'm building in the fridge permanent and want it to stay on all the time without cycle stressing my battery bank. The thousand bucks I spend now will save me from having to replace the super expensive deep cycle batteries once a year and provide oh shit backup power if I ever need it. The fridge I'm building will keep icecream frozen sitting in a jeep in the Arizona sun without needing to ever start the engine.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

So far they are talking 250-300 watts for the panel on the hardtop. Which will get full power about five hours per day laying flat. Then about half power for remaining daylight hours. They also mentioned that was rated a freezing temp and that sitting in Arizona sun the panels as they heat produce more power. The engineer said he wouldnt be shocked to see double that output in peak sun in Arizona heat.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:43 AM
JK Junkie

Can't wait to see the end results
Old 07-02-2012, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up You're the man

Originally Posted by dognights
UPDATE:

Found and talked to a company called powerfilm. They already make something similar to what I am looking for. I found them after going to some local golf courses here in south florida and climbing all over golf carts to find out the name of the panels I saw on some of the golf carts. Turns out it is this place called powerfilm. They make everything from real small cellphone chargers, to heavy duty military application for deploying solar tents in the desert. I got to talk to one of their engineers. Everyone there seemed very cool so far. Not only can they make something that will stick to the top of the jeep hardtop but they can custom make it so that it follows the ridges on the hardtop as well. They will also let me pick where I want the power dongle to be located. We are going to work on the size and design next week then come up with a typical expected output for the system. Im not sure if it was just positive talk from the engineer but with the area we can work with it looks like the system can produce much more power then I was expecting. I will update after I get some more information from them the middle of next week or so. From just preliminary talks it looks like the custom panel will cost about $1000 bucks or so.
Glad you already found power film I was just going to suggest them for the roof. I thought about this too but couldn't justify the cost of it. Super glad you are doing it and excited to hear how it goes.

FYI to all: four wheeler mag ran an article on using a 60W portable solar to charge the batt for cooler usage. Which seems to be a great interim or beginner level solar set up:
************.com/techarticles/electrical/129_1206_solar_sufficiency_powerfilm_portable_sola r_charger/index.html (I heard somewhere that we couldn't use click-able links unless we were a vendor so you need to input the homepage part to make it work).

As for the roof solar panels on the hood my $.02 is that the engine heat+100F weather may cause thermal damage to the panels so I am not sure you want to go this route Seems a powerfilm 60W flexible panel (or a few daisy chained up) laying on your hood would do the trick for when your land-docked but my inner geek really wants you to do the hood too and find out how many watts you can squeeze out of the jk body!

PLEASE KEEP US UP TO DATE!

Edit: just saw the heat = more power comment that's real interesting... Maybe we should all replace our hoods with solar ones.

Last edited by rrcross; 07-02-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default Insider perspective

My company is a commercial solar developer so we look at a lot of different products. I'm not as familiar with some of the OEM consumer electronics manufacturers, but I will warn you that those products are not generally designed for long term out door exposure. When you talk about flexible solar you're talking about "thin film" technology which has major long term outdoor durability issues that only a few manufacturers have overcome. The oldest is unisolar flexible PVL laminates. Unfortunately they just went bankrupt but it's proven so if you can track them down, the lack of warranty coverage may not matter. The other company to check out is SoloPowerŽ | Thin-Film Photovoltaic (PV) Manufacturer They are newer but make a product that could be a good fit. Since these panels are designed for commercial applications, you won't have to figure out how to scrape the panel and adhesive off your hardtop in 6 months when the panel stops working. Check out Morningstar for your charge controller. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Solar Panels