Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Solar Panels

Old 06-29-2012, 01:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dognights
Does anyone know of a place to find self adhesive flexible solar panels?

Ive looked all over the place and searched online and keep finding dead ends. What I am looking to do is to cover my hardtop from the freedom panels back with solar cells, then maybe clear coat over them to prevent possible damage. Im hoping something like a 100w panel would be enough to run some small things and maybe keep the portable cooler fridge going at night without issue off of an attached battery. We do a bunch of car camping while sleeping in the back of our 4 door. About to move out to Phoenix area, so I figured with all of the sun out there that something like this might work well.

Any ideas or leads are greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Just to clarify, you plan to use the solar panel at night without the issue of an attached battery. What does this mean? I got a bit confused here. ;-)

On a side note, I saw the specs of that flexible Costco has been selling and it's very lame. Barely charges a phone so I simply left them alone.

However, Costco also has a rigid one for rooftops that should fit a four doors hard top perfectly and I've also thought about something like that. However, a roof rack would kill this idea so now I am considering using the hood since there's nothing there and the two holes for those rubber nipples would work fine. However, not sure they would be able to provide a full large battery charge.

As for the solar panels' technology, it varies a lot. Those solar cars probably use those more advanced and very expensive models.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AdvJeep
Just curious but have you tried contacting a university engineering department that does those solar races every year, they would know where to get cells that you are looking for?

My guess would be 3M but I could be wrong. Good luck hope you can figure it out, awesome idea!
Yep that is exactly who I sent emails out to this morning.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick

Just to clarify, you plan to use the solar panel at night without the issue of an attached battery. What does this mean? I got a bit confused here.
I plan to use power from the battery bank the solar panel charges mostly during night or low light conditions. This means the system needs to serve as a reserve capacity rather then just a pass through system. The solar panel really is only going to pretty much serve as a battery charger for when the jeep is not running. I also will have the separate battery bank switchable to charge off of my already upgraded alternator. The real major goal is to be able to run a built in fridge all the time without ever needing to start the jeep or put drain on my main batteries.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

I wish you luck. You may want to look at a patent.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

How is it your solar panels are going to help run your fridge AT NIGHT?
Old 06-29-2012, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Arkos
The solar panels charge a battery bank during the day. Then at night the fridge will use power stored in the batteries to run. The Engel cooling system parts I bought use very low energy combined with a heavily insulated box to keep things very cold. The whole system is built and designed to run on 12v DC power. Engel is the company that makes portable cooler/fridges for transporting organ donors.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Arkos
He said that he's putting a battery bank in his jeep and will fill the bank with the energy from the panel and use the bank to keep lights and fridge running.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

You should check out GoalZero products.

I use a lot of their products when camping and it helps power my ARB freezer/fridge.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TX_JK
You should check out GoalZero products.

I use a lot of their products when camping and it helps power my ARB freezer/fridge.
Thanks for the nice site. Not really what I am looking for with this project but it looks like I might order one of the smaller kits from them for backpacking. They have some real nice small self contained systems. Thanks for the heads up!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

If you're just looking to power a fridge and a few other things, a dual battery option may be easier...as a Phoenix resident I will tell you having a fridge for daily trips does not hurt. I'm not trying to discourage the solar idea, but I know most guys with fridges always keep them in their Jeep just run dual batteries and it will last them a few days pretty easy without running the engine. Also, a battery bank inside the Jeep can offer a safety hazard during a sudden stop if not secured to the Jeep and can take up some valuable room. Again, not trying to discourage the idea, just throwing in my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Solar Panels