Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Softer shocks to replace FT M-force?

Old 09-26-2007, 12:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmccurdy
No idea how to tell visually -- I've never seen the HD's. I'm pretty sure they are not the default option, so as long as you didn't ask for them specifically, you probably have the standard ones.

I'm looking for them because I've added a winch and a heavy rear bumper, and I usually go on longer trips so I'm pretty loaded down. It feels like I could use some stiffer springs at this point, but I was (still am, really) fairly happy with the regular ones in terms of ride quality.
If you are looking for HD coils, Northridge 4x4 carries them:

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...=FTS-JKHDCOILS
Old 09-28-2007, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robin
sadly it sounds like your springs are too stiff, I was actually surprised not to here about this before, I had the same experience you are having with my tj and a pro comp and fabtech lift. if you try bouncing your jeep and it does not move then I think you have a problem with your springs, suspenssion companies would tell you to wait till your springs settle. I just bought a rancho lift. I hope I dont have the same problem. I dont think shocks actually make that huge of a difference. I have driven a jeep missing shocks and I didnt even noticed. if nothing else works I think changing springs would be your best fix.
Shoot, it sounds like my springs might be the problem then. I went out and lowered my pressure to 28 but haven't tried it out since I can't climb into my jeep with my compound fracured wrist (Had surgery Wednesday) and broken tailbone from a bad fall training Supercross a week ago last Sunday. Basically I became a human lawn dart when I over jumped a triple, landing on the takeoff of the next double at which point my feet came off the pegs and I seat bounced about 30' landing head first into the berm and leaving a basketball sized hole with my head. I thank God I'm alive! However, I can barely walk and have not mustered up the huevos to go for a ride in this bone jarring jeep. Since I can't really use my arms that well I tried sitting on the bumpers and bouncing and it hardly moves. Does this sound like springs?

Who should I call to find out which springs were sent? I bought the FT Ultimate kit from 4wheelparts but was never asked about standard or HD sprigs. Does anyone have the number or email for FT? Thanks

Last edited by red7; 09-28-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

FYI-My wife took out the Jeep after letting air out of the tires and running 28 lbs of pressure sets off the tire sensors so I can rule that out of the equation. She said it didn't effect the ride and is still a little bent on how much worse the ride quality is over stock. She does like the additional height though since she's only 5'1" and skies over most cars. I sent an email to both 4wheelparts and full traction so hopefully they can atleast tell me if I have the wrong springs or not. It is interesting that I got 4" of lift out of it not that I'm complaining as I had to trim the front plastic piece anyway.

Is there a way of softening/breaking in the springs/shocks with a press? I could keep jumping the table top but I'm scared of hurting something. The guys told me I had at least 2' of air and it didn't even bottom out if that tells you how strong the springs are. Hopefully we can get this ironed out as I love this Jeep!
Old 09-29-2007, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by red7
Basically I became a human lawn dart when I over jumped a triple, landing on the takeoff of the next double at which point my feet came off the pegs and I seat bounced about 30' landing head first into the berm and leaving a basketball sized hole with my head. I thank God I'm alive!
Hey, I had a very similar experience a few years ago when I raced MX. Framed on the take-off of a 2nd jump wide open in 4th. While kissing the front fender, and hanging on for dear life, I pulled one of the grips off. After the bare bar end that I was no longer holding broke a rib, I was sling-shotted head first into the ground. I'm told I used my head as a pogo stick and ended up 30 yards down the track with the bike upside down on top of me. Apparently I didn't let go with the other hand?? Anyway, I laid on the track unconsious (sp?) and bleeding from both ears, both eyes, both nostils and my mouth- some of which I didn't know you could bleed from! 3 hours later when I regained consciousness in the hospital, I learned that miraculously I only had a concussion, some broken teeth and the broken rib. I still have the helmet, which broke just about in two, as a reminder of how lucky I am to also be alive.

On the suspension, either I'm getting used to it or the springs are "settling" as others have mentioned. It doesn't seem quite as bad. FT responded immediately when I had a very minor installation issue (self-caused), but I've yet to hear back about the springs.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default stiff springs

Hi red7 so sorry to hear about your accident. hope you are doing better. As far as your springs ,I dont know how many miles you have put on . they ussually settle at about 300. may be they sent you the hd ones. I see you live in Mazatlan. I am in mexico too. nice to hear from more people with jks around here.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robin
Hi red7 so sorry to hear about your accident. hope you are doing better. As far as your springs ,I dont know how many miles you have put on . they ussually settle at about 300. may be they sent you the hd ones. I see you live in Mazatlan. I am in mexico too. nice to hear from more people with jks around here.
Thanks, what city are you in?

Neither FT nor 4wheelparts.com has responded to my emails sent a week ago so I'm starting to get annoyed. I have 2500 miles on the springs and no break in. Yesterday I drove the jeep for the first time since my accident and it jarred the hell out of me. Sucks that a $2,000 suspension is the only thing keeping me from enjoying, or even using, a $35,000+ toy. My friends joke that it's the coolest looking vehicle when parked but the worst handling one to ride in.

Since FT wont help me, how can I find out if it's the shocks, springs or both that are too stiff? I'm assuming it's now the shocks since I got over 4" lift out of this 3" lift. I'd love the extra inch if it didn't hurt the ride quality. Do I have any legal right to demand softer springs since I ordered a 3" lift but was given a 4-4.5" one?
Old 10-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since FT wont help me, how can I find out if it's the shocks, springs or both that are too stiff? I'm assuming it's now the shocks since I got over 4" lift out of this 3" lift. I'd love the extra inch if it didn't hurt the ride quality. Do I have any legal right to demand softer springs since I ordered a 3" lift but was given a 4-4.5" one?
FT will not be able to help you you need to call 4wp. They ship 4wp a ton of kits and dont know what they ship you.

David
Old 10-03-2007, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
FT will not be able to help you you need to call 4wp. They ship 4wp a ton of kits and dont know what they ship you.

David
Thanks David. 4wp actually dropped shipped the lift directly from FT. Can you confirm if FT offers regular and HD springs and or shocks that maybe got sent by accident? What is your experience on getting them to swap stuff out if so?
Old 10-03-2007, 09:02 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by red7
Thanks David. 4wp actually dropped shipped the lift directly from FT. Can you confirm if FT offers regular and HD springs and or shocks that maybe got sent by accident? What is your experience on getting them to swap stuff out if so?
Unless specified specifically by you, your kit should have come with the standard coils front and rear. If you had requested it, you could have gotten HD coils but they are only available for the front - NOT the rear. 4WP is a big company and I would think they should be able to help you out. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Red,
I hope you can get it straightened out. I just put on the FT 2" spacers with M-Force and the shocks seems good to me. I have only been driving them for a couple of days and have not gone off-rod yet (will this weekend.) I feel the road better with them and it seems to level out quicker than the std. shocks of the X. But, they are by no means harsh and jolting on my set-up. As others have led you, my guess is it is somewhere else causing the issue.

Good luck resolving it so you can go back to enjoying the fun of your jeep.

Quick Reply: Softer shocks to replace FT M-force?